Author Topic: Six Spring Slipping  (Read 1021 times)

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
Six Spring Slipping
« on: 31.08. 2011 15:50 »
With very nearly 1500 miles under our belts now I'm beginning to give the old girl a harder time out there. Just beginning to notice some slight clutch slip when tramping on. Which is a shame as that clutch has been working pretty much OK and is not too hard at the lever. I'd be keen not to wind down on the springs any more than is necessary. Any thoughts on how much turn I might be able to get away with on each of the nuts?
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline t20racerman

• A's Good Friend
  • Keep it nailed!
    • The T20 'Super Six' Suzuki website
Re: Six Spring Slipping
« Reply #1 on: 31.08. 2011 18:48 »
My 4 spring started slipping badly this weekend for no reason I could see and as I was hoping to go out for a long ride I took the plates out and gave the surfaces a rub down with 400 grade Emery as they looked a bit glazed. As I hadn't got the time to check if this was enough I wound the adjusters right down so about a cm of thread was showing through. This solved it, but did make the clutch a bit on the heavy side. I will back these backoff to a position of about 4mm showing through - as it was before.
Feel free to tighten them up a fair bit more if necessary - it won't hurt if you do. Are your plates good ones though? There are a few comments on this forum about useless clutch plates....
1944 WN/G based trials Ariel
1961 A10 - somewhat modified :-)
1967 T20 Suzuki - heavily modified Classic Racer
1967 T20 Suzuki - pretty standard road bike
2007 KTM 660 SMC - fast and furious supermoto
Triumph Tiger (modern one)

"If I had all the money back that I've spent on motorcycles... I'd spend it all on motorcycles!"

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 31.08. 2011 19:00 »
I have just taken up on mine a little. It,s a compromise between having the nuts too tight so that the clutch is difficult to operate and having it slip. Tighten the nuts half turn at a time whilst operating the clutch lever to feel that it,s not too heavy to operate and of course check that it,s still releasing square.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 31.08. 2011 21:16 »
Butch,

I'm wondering what lubricant you're running in the primary.  I,  and several others here,  run ATF instead of the originally specified oil.  I think of ATF as less slippery and, by definition,  more about how it stops slipping than how it keeps slipping.

Richard L.

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 01.09. 2011 19:47 »
Thanks for responses folks. I do have a lever with less pull, which gives more mechanical advantage but found this did not quite give me the full range of travel for correct clutch operation at each end of the travel. The plates were new 1500 miles ago but I'm unsure of their provenance, I can't remember whether I picked them up in the day (late '70s) or more recently. I'm due a service within a hundred miles now so I'll swap out the primary oil for the ATF and see how it goes.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #5 on: 01.09. 2011 20:26 »
Goldy wrote
check that it,s still releasing square
Patience in doing the fine-adjustment cured any slip tendencies here, and still keeping a light clutch lever.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"