Author Topic: Recommended lubricants  (Read 2868 times)

Offline Felters

• A's Good Friend
Re: Recommended lubricants
« Reply #15 on: 03.09. 2011 06:48 »
Scrub that last post - just found the on-line manual! This is a remarkable web site...
'59 BSA A7 and '02 BMW 1150RT

Offline jjbsa

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #16 on: 04.09. 2011 20:37 »
I think Goldseeker has a good point in that the Zinc additives are reputed to look after difficult things like cams and cam followers well.  (Two hard things in contact).  I understand that modern oils omit it because it interferes with other things the oil needs to do in modern vehicles, like omissions control.  I *think* that Millers have oils that address this (not checked).

Also, like some others, I have started using ATF in the primary chaincase.  It seems to let the clutch grip with a much lighter pressure on the clutch springs.  The bike hasn't done a lot of miles yet, so the ATF is still under test for me.  HTH.

Offline Felters

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #17 on: 05.09. 2011 07:10 »
So I've switched the primary to red ATF fluid, the g/box to 80/90 gear oil and will be moving the engine to Morris 20/50 when I've got time. Obviously I've no idea what oil came out of the gearbox but it is a bit slicker now it has the gear oil in it.

Forks are also on the list - just sorting out a spanner big enough!

Mike
'59 BSA A7 and '02 BMW 1150RT

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 05.09. 2011 13:22 »
Yep,  that wrench was an issue for me,  too.  I never did buy a socket for the job,  but I think either 1-5/16" or 31mm would work (maybe other folks will confirm).  What I ended up buying for the job was a 12" crescent-type wrench from Stanley (87-794).  The adjustable function runs tight and true and the jaws are fairly narrow,  which helps. I can also use this on the oil tank drain,  but need to be careful of the paint.  In my case,  my top yoke is from an A50 (long,  sad story),  so using a socket on the fork nuts would mean removing the handlebars. 

Richard L.

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #19 on: 11.09. 2011 00:51 »
Soooo....

It arrived this afternoon and I'm 99% certain it's running Castrol R. Stick with it or switch to multigrade?

If running a castor oil, I'm very happy with Morris castor oil on my A10 race engine. The white metal plain bush certainly likes it.
But of course you cant go swap between mineral oil and castor without a careful engine flush.

A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand