Author Topic: New Alloy Cylinder Head  (Read 1625 times)

Offline railway

• New
New Alloy Cylinder Head
« on: 28.03. 2008 20:25 »
I have in my possesion a brand new un-machined 67-1126 Super Rocket head casting.  It is fitted with valve seats and finished holes for the valve guides.  It has no spark plug holes or threads.  Inlet port and exhaust port are un-machined.
I would welcome advice as to how and where I could get it machined as a finished product to fit on my A10.  Or would the cost be prohibitive.  I have put these pictures to show the problem.

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: New Alloy Cylinder Head
« Reply #1 on: 28.03. 2008 21:53 »
That is a strange thing to see and it would be interesting to hear how you came by it. I am thinking it was a prototype or a reject. If you had your own machine shop I suppose it might not be cost prohibitive. However, I can't imagine a shop charging less than US$400 or aroung 200 GBP to do the job and I am rather certain you could get a quite decent head for that or less.

It will surprise me if others are not also amused by this piece and, I expect, they will chime in with other opinions as to price/value.

Richard

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 29.03. 2008 07:45 »
I don't know if you have ever read Real Classic paper magazine or online magazine but this might be a job for Humbernut. I will send you his email address by PM.

http://www.realclassic.co.uk/index.html

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #3 on: 29.03. 2008 17:54 »
Reckon Humbernut could sort it in his sleep, having followed the remake of the engine in Real Classic! But also have a mate who has made Ariel heads - from getting moulds made for the bare castings through to a small batch of finished items. All done by him from receipt of castings. I'll talk to him when I see him in May (or before even) . . . but I do know, from looking at his workshop and seeing the raw and finished products (and that for a single!) it is MANY hours work even for a man like him with skills to die for . . . most of it going on the series of one-off set-up operations needed to do the machining, be it on the lathe or miller. And then there's the shaping/surfacing to be done too . . . I think a good head 2nd hand would be a lot less expensive - but probably not so interesting! Groily
Bill