Author Topic: Secondary chain lube  (Read 1833 times)

Offline Felters

• A's Good Friend
Secondary chain lube
« on: 08.09. 2011 18:33 »
What is the current wisdom on chain lubrication please? Are we still boiling them in grease?

Cheers
Mike
'59 BSA A7 and '02 BMW 1150RT

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Secondary chain lube
« Reply #1 on: 08.09. 2011 18:47 »
I spray mine, but to be honest I would think submerged in molten Linklife for an hour or two then hung out to drain/dry and a wipe to remove excess is possible the best way to get lube right in,
but you need to be organised with a spare chain between bikes and an ordered life - I have the spare chain???? *roll*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Felters

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 08.09. 2011 20:27 »
Linklife - that was it!! Thanks for the reminder.

After a bit of Googling it seems the 'elf n' safety mob saw it off some time ago - Putoline Chain Wax is the stuff to use now apparently. About £25 incl. delivery. Same principle - but less noxious. Still doesn't mean your wife is going to let you do it in her new kitchen though...

Cheers
Mike
'59 BSA A7 and '02 BMW 1150RT

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 08.09. 2011 21:21 »
SWMBO had a spell where our trusty deep fat fryer was adjudged to be over the hill, I protested for quite some time as it still worked well enough (apart from the extra small hole that allowed you to see the inner workings).
Suddenly my shed brain kicked in, new fryer was purchased and the old one resides in readiness in the bottom shed beside the tin of Linklife (actually you are correct it is Putoline)
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 08.09. 2011 21:43 »
I use a general purpose spray grease rather than the stuff specifically for bike chains.

Offline cus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 09.09. 2011 00:24 »
Same as Fido,
that brown stuff for bikes flicks everywhere!

Cus
56 G/Flash project

Offline Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #6 on: 09.09. 2011 00:30 »
I still boil mine in Putoline. Its time consuming but I still reckon its the best way to lube a chain. I found with the spray on stuff it just doesnt penetrate into the pins. You can have heaps of it on the chain but when you remove the joining link the pins are dry.

Offline t20racerman

• A's Good Friend
  • Keep it nailed!
    • The T20 'Super Six' Suzuki website
« Reply #7 on: 09.09. 2011 06:29 »
My bike has an automatic chain oiler! (put oil in chaincase and go for a ride...... and the chain gets lubed by the chaincase oil coming past the clutchshaft)  *smile*

Works well, but unfortunately oils the frame, swing arm and rear wheel too
 *conf* 

When (if?) I fix this oil leak I'll use bike chain lube spray. Modern spray greases are superb and I'd never go back to removing the chain and boiling it up. If you haven't tried a quality modern chain spray, give it a go.
1944 WN/G based trials Ariel
1961 A10 - somewhat modified :-)
1967 T20 Suzuki - heavily modified Classic Racer
1967 T20 Suzuki - pretty standard road bike
2007 KTM 660 SMC - fast and furious supermoto
Triumph Tiger (modern one)

"If I had all the money back that I've spent on motorcycles... I'd spend it all on motorcycles!"

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #8 on: 09.09. 2011 11:00 »
Hi everyone, I to have always relied on the inbuilt BSA oiler ,the chaincase!!! Clever engineering design, this also includes anti corrosion protection for the rear rim ,still beautiful chrome after 9 yrs ,front, already on it's way out, regards BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 09.09. 2011 22:53 »
Yes, you  duffers, it's called rim preserver not chain oiling!

snapperbob

« Reply #10 on: 12.09. 2011 17:44 »
I use the chain wax method, and I was told by Andy The Chain Man (he's usually at the big autojumbles, a real chain guru) that you should put the chain (clean of course) into the hot runny wax with the heat still on and leave it for a while. Then turn off the heat and leave the chain in the wax until it (the wax that is!) starts getting slightly viscous, then remove the chain and drain. The logic is that if you take the chain out while the wax is still very hot it will just drain out of the places it has penetrated into. Seems logical.

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #11 on: 14.09. 2011 11:20 »
The trick is not to get the grease too hot.
It only just needs to be liquid, not boiling.
I now melt the grease , remove the heat then pop the chain ( if it is not really dry this will be very messy ) in, swirl it around for a few minutes then remove the chain.
Correct heat is just too hot to hold comfortably but not hot enough to burn your hand.
Bike Beesa
Trevor