Author Topic: Tank petseal.  (Read 1359 times)

Offline old PJ

• Moving Up
Tank petseal.
« on: 02.04. 2008 11:55 »
Hi all some time ago i put a post on  here about petseal for petrol tanks well it works well and i am very happy with the results i did have a problem with the first batch of sealer but i purchase a new batch and put it in the tank and it set ok i have put the new lever type taps on which are brilliant so all is well and the bike is ready for the summer .
PJ

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
Re: Tank petseal.
« Reply #1 on: 03.04. 2008 08:25 »
I used Petseal in the B31. I kept a jam jar in the garage with the dregs of the Petseal in the bottom. I had let it harden then part filled the jar with petrol. Every few months I would give it a prod with a screwdriver so see if the Petseal had softened. It was OK for about 4 years then started to dissolve. I suppose this was not too scientific as it should have been kept in total darkness in case UV light affected the material.

Offline dpaddock

• NC, USA
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 04.04. 2008 21:30 »
Fido's test was very likely OK per se and points up the aggressive solvency of petrol. Myself, I drain my tanks each season for winter layup and have yet to experience this problem.
David
'57 Spitfire

Offline dpaddock

• NC, USA
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 19.04. 2008 02:06 »
Except that the tap washers might dry out and leak slightly when you first refill the tank.
David
'57 Spitfire