Author Topic: K-Tek constant voltage control  (Read 4507 times)

Offline Gonemad

• A's Good Friend
Re: K-Tek constant voltage control
« Reply #15 on: 05.10. 2011 16:48 »
Darn it Richard.  Would that be the ignition switch built in to a secret place underneath the saddle on the right hand side?  How on earth did you find out?
Actualy, it was a play on a well known line from a TV comedy program here in Blighty called Dad's Army.  With a setting during the second world war a group of German soldiers had captured a squad of British Home Guard soldiers.  One of the young British soldiers has the family name, Pike. When the German soldiers begin asking questions the commanding British officer says, "Don't tell 'em your name Pike."
Everbody here knows the line and it often gets missused, as with my secret switch location.

I remember the kill switch to which you refer now.  I had it on my 1955 Shooting Star all those years ago.  My 'new' bike does not have one, probably removed during the restoration by the PO, but it does have the secret ignition switch which is wired into the same line. When the bike was first started, after all those years of standing, it raced at high revs and when I stopped it, with the ignition - kill switch, it stopped very quickly leaving the rev counter at a high reading.  I now know that this is not a problem.  I also took the tank off today with the intention of removing the carburetor for thorough cleaning in case it was gummed up with old dry petrol.  However, with the tank removed the throttle cable did what it was supposed to do so I am assuming that it must have been trapped by the tank against the frame.  I will put the tank back tomorrow, with the cable tied to the frame of course, and see what happens when I start it again.

Thanks for the input again lads.  I think that I am getting on top of this bike now.

Angus.

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #16 on: 06.10. 2011 12:22 »
Good afternoon Angus, whilst you've got the tank off ,even if you've got the tank rubbers fitted in there bracket there can still be alot of vibration,I use  22mmpipe insulation ,you know the formed preslit stuff and tape it over theftop frame tube and  cables( once they are secure and moving easily) cut it clear of the central bolt hole and it keeps it lovely and snug and a lot less vibes for a very few pence.
By the way I think your secrets safe with Richard and everyone on this site ,just check he hasn't booked a visit to Norfolk yet !
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Gonemad

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #17 on: 06.10. 2011 16:36 »
Hello Bob.
That's a good tip that I shall follow.  There was some insulation along the top of the top frame member but certainly not as thick as the insulation that you use.

Today I got the bike to start again, and it even had a good slow tick over this time so it was the trapped throttle cable after all. I then rode it for the first time, around a local and empty private car park. Quite fantastic. A little wobbly - uncertain - at the front wheel on right hand turns but that well be the tyre, ribbed, at least 12 years old and pretty worn. Although the rear tyre looks very good I will throw away both tyres, as they are both at least 12 years old, and get new tubes and tyres next spring.

I have to say that I am pretty chuffed to have joined this site.  Quite wonderful the way that so many are prepared to share their knowledge.  My time will come, there must be somebody that knows less than me about these bikes....

I think that I should move my secret switch now to a new hiding place on the right hand side of the handlebars.

Angus

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #18 on: 07.10. 2011 14:15 »
Where to??
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 07.10. 2011 15:33 »
So, if I have this right: O'Hare to Heathrow; Heathrow Express to Paddington Station; Circle to Liverpool Street; National Express to Norwich; ask where Angus with the old BSA lives, and Bob's your uncle!

So, have you met Andy at Leigh Classics in Leigh-On-Sea? If not, you should try to get there, if for no other reason than telling him that Richard from Chicago says "Hello".

I see you are not too far from Bury St. Edmunds. I worked on the audio design there for the civic hall in the Cattle Market project. However, it was by long distance and I have not actually been there.

Richard L.

Offline Gonemad

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #20 on: 10.10. 2011 17:56 »
Next time I am passing through Leigh - on - Sea I will pass on your regards for sure Richard.

My Uncle Bob sends his greetings.

Angus