Author Topic: re-built dynamo A10  (Read 1369 times)

Offline rockthedog

• A's Good Friend
re-built dynamo A10
« on: 06.11. 2011 09:01 »
hi all. i have just rebuilt my dynamo with a full kit of ebay,i have + earth on my bike ,will i have to flash the dynamo when fitted, if so how do i go about it thank you mal.

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
Re: re-built dynamo A10
« Reply #1 on: 06.11. 2011 10:41 »
Highly likely you will have to flash it if it is a new rebuilt dynamo as you say. Take out the connections on the F & D of the end cap and take a live wire from the negative - terminal of your battery, then just touch the F terminal on the end cap. One second is enough NO more! Reconnect the F & D wires to end cap and job is be complete. Often dynamos need re-flashing if they are stood unused for a long period of time as the very small residual magnetism fades.

Note: When flashing you will likely see a very small blue spark, this tells you flashing is done. If you should accidently use the positive + then no damage will have been done.
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline rockthedog

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 06.11. 2011 12:21 »
Highly likely you will have to flash it if it is a new rebuilt dynamo as you say. Take out the connections on the F & D of the end cap and take a live wire from the negative - terminal of your battery, then just touch the F terminal on the end cap. One second is enough NO more! Reconnect the F & D wires to end cap and job is be complete. Often dynamos need re-flashing if they are stood unused for a long period of time as the very small residual magnetism fades.

Note: When flashing you will likely see a very small blue spark, this tells you flashing is done. If you should accidently use the positive + then no damage will have been done.
thank you will go and try it, will report back thanks again mal. *smile*

Offline rockthedog

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 07.11. 2011 14:42 »

thank you will go and try it, will report back thanks again mal. *smile*

all is now well thanks to this forum thanks to you all *smile*

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 08.11. 2011 15:18 »
Mine quit after being left for just a few days. As you say, a quick flash and it's OK again. Odd?
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 08.11. 2011 22:39 »
Yes. Field cores must be leaking! You'll have to seal them up!