Author Topic: Transfers  (Read 3656 times)

Offline Gonemad

• A's Good Friend
Transfers
« on: 06.10. 2011 15:52 »
Could somebody with a RGS let me have the following information?

I am using the company www.classictransfers.co.uk as my reference.

On the rear light 'box' does the transfer show:
a) The three rifles with the words BSA 650 Twin (BSA 6070)
b) The three rifles with the words BSA 650cc (BSA 6096)
c) The three rifles with the words BSA (BSA 6060)
d) The three rifles with the words BSA, with a line above and below the font (BSA 6060)

..... with the words Rocket Gold Star underneath the right one from the above four ((BSA 6862)

Also, do the words Made in England (BSA 6564) appear on both front frame down tubes, or only on the offside - right as you face forward, downtube.

And finally, what transfer should display on the toolbox?

The correct information would be very much appreciated.

Angus

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Transfers
« Reply #1 on: 06.10. 2011 21:24 »
Angus,
              There is some conjecture as to what was on the tail light bracket.
I have gone with the piled arms with the Rocket Gold Star beneath, simply because I like it.
The "Made In England" is on the off side only.
The tool box and oil tank have the piled arms with garter. Some of these on the market are shockers with terrible colours.
Also the oil tank has "Oil Level" transfer.

Trev.

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 07.10. 2011 09:38 »
Angus,

Take note that there are two types of coloured transfer for the oil tank and toolbox.  The early one (up to 1953) has "BSA Cycles Ltd" around the top and the later one (the one that you want) has "BSA Motorcycles Ltd" on it.

As Trev says, some of them have terrible colours compared to the originals and I would suggest that you acquired yours from the BSA Owners' Club.  In fact, Malcolm Hawkins, their transfer officer should be able to answer your questions.  Contact him at transfers@bsaownersclub.co.uk

Beezageezauk.

Offline Gonemad

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 07.10. 2011 10:23 »
Thanks Trev and Ray

I will now take contact with the BSA Owners Club to see if I can order them that way.

Good comment regarding the terrible colours.  With these bikes now 50 years old there cannot be many left with the original transfers still legible so I suppose it does now come to a fair guess or, hopefully, the Owners Club will have the accurate information.

Good input boys.  Thanks again.

Angus

Offline Pilgrim

• North Kent. U.K.
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 11.10. 2011 21:00 »
Hi Angus,
Found this on the Vintage Motor Cycle Club's website.
Item.1918
 B.S.A.Rr.No,Pl.Brk: Gold Rocket Gold Star with Piled Arms, 42x75, 1960?s  £3.50  Each 

BSAOC. Handbook.
Transfer No; 025 Gold Piled Arms. No. Plate Bridge. Pre'63. 20x55  £1.50.
      "       " ; 108 Rocket Gold Star. Rear No. Plate. RGS. 20x45  £2.50.

Also spoke to George Prew some time ago, he seemed to think that the RGS transfer goes
between the No. Plate Bridge and the Dualseat. Didn't look right on mine (too small).
Hope this might help. I stuck(sic) with the VMCC version. Looks o.k. anyway.
Regards, Geoff.
1962 R.G.S.
1963 R.G.S.
2004 Bonnie. T100.

Offline Gonemad

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 12.10. 2011 14:06 »
Thanks Geoff

I will have a look at the website you mention.
Cake Street Classics also have transfers and as I am about to order some new parts from them I will have a look at their offerings when I collect my new goodies.

Nice looking bike btw,

Angus

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 12.10. 2011 16:02 »

Cake Street Classics also have transfers and as I am about to order some new parts from them I will have a look at their offerings when I collect my new goodies.

Angus
It must be nice to be close enough to visit suppliers like Cake Street. Down here in the far SW we're a long way from such places.
Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.

Offline Gonemad

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 13.10. 2011 19:47 »
Trev, ""Made In England" is on the off side only." 

My potential transfer supplier, a highly respected RGS restorer, has told me that the Made in England transfer is on both down tubes. What to do - what to do?

Ray, I did send a mail to Malcolm Hawkins at the BSA Owners Club but he did not reply, probably because I am not yet a member.  I must put that right soon.

Good post Pilgrim.  Thanks for the research.  All replies appreciated.

Angus.

Offline trevinoz

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 13.10. 2011 21:35 »
Angus,
                I have never seen "Made In England" on both sides of any bike unless put there by owner.
I could be wrong in this case but we need an untouched example to see either way.

Trev.

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 13.10. 2011 22:48 »
You might have to find an original still in crate example to still find transfers intact!

Offline Gonemad

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #10 on: 21.10. 2011 11:28 »
Just to conclude this, I contacted the BSA Owners Club who have, as many of you might already know, a Transfers Officer... Malcolm.

I asked him the question in the same manner as my first post, 06.10.11, and received the following information.  I assume that the Ref given is a BSA Owners Club reference for ordering.

"Our transfers are based on original factory ones, that we have in our records, and
are as follows:
On the rear light 'box' the transfer should be,
a) the three rifles with the words BSA 650 Twin, ref #105.
Rocket Gold Star is a separate transfer, ref #108, and is ?underneath? the three rifles with the words BSA 650 Twin.
Strictly speaking I don't think Made in England, ref 057 was used until the
late 60's/early 70's but if you do use them they are on the right side down tube only.

Toolbox/oil tank BSA motor cycles ref #027

Malcolm."

That certainly answers the question from me and it is interesting to note the remark concerning the date for the Made in England on the right hand side of the frame only...

I am still looking for a crated one Wilco.  Should be fairly easy don't you think....?

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #11 on: 21.10. 2011 13:35 »
Heyup Angus,

Pleased that you got your transfer question answered in the end.

Next step....transfers eh??

Beezageezauk.

Offline Gonemad

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #12 on: 21.10. 2011 16:02 »
Hiya Ray

Er well, not quite.. but nearly there.  Stalled for a while awaiting the funds to build up for the new chrome mudguards and chain cover to replace the ones that rusted cosmeticaly, and chrome the rear brake plate, and new tires and petrol pipes, an Altette horn (how CAN they be so expensive?), and the transfers of course, and then...... go..... 
I look forward to it.

Angus.

Offline trevinoz

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 22.10. 2011 06:18 »
Angus,
           The Transfers Officer should really know his job a little better!
The transfer in question was definitely applied on post 1960 frames and I have seen a well weathered one on a frame from 1958/9. Original? Who knows.
As to the Altette value, if you can find one, it is usually in very poor condition and takes many hours and dollars to bring back to "as new".

Trev.

Offline Gonemad

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #14 on: 22.10. 2011 10:46 »
Hi Trev

Thanks for the reply.  I am in contact with a man who restores Rocket Gold Stars as a part of his business and his bikes are beautiful, but only for lottery winners.  He states that the RGS should have the Made in England transfer on both sides of the frame and applies them in that manner to his restorations.  At the moment I think that I will go for one only, on the right hand down tube.
The same man will be supplying the new guards and tires, just as soon as the front mudguard arrives in stock.

Point taken regarding the Altette horn and the time and money required to restore them.  I'm afraid that I have to own up to a certain tendency to think back fifty years to my Shooting Star and a gallon of petrol for two shillings.... and so on. 
Let me have another go... 1962, RGS £350, today £ lots.  1962, my income £1500 per year, today £.... OK, I'm getting there....

Angus