Author Topic: Quality or lack of it.  (Read 809 times)

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Quality or lack of it.
« on: 13.10. 2011 10:45 »
 G'day all,
             a little miffed with three recent purchases.
 1 A pair of hard chromed fork legs. The chrome looks a little to shiny for hard chrome and are 1.8thou" small. Will have to make special bushes.
 2 Set of new cam followers. All of them has a 1thou" tapper and one was 1thou" bigger than the others. 1/2 hour with a diamond stone to get it in.
 3 New 357 cam. Pinion shaft 2thou" small. I can throw the pinion on from other side of shed instead of a snug fit.
 I know it's only a thou or two but in these bits it makes a big difference. It would cost me $150 and 6 weeks to send them back.
 Bugga.
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Quality or lack of it.
« Reply #1 on: 13.10. 2011 11:06 »
I need a 356 cam and followers and I'm glad u saw your post before I ordered them

The trouble is I was going to order them from the same suppliers as you and now I don't know who to get them from!
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash (1st finished project)

1949 B31 rigid “400cc hot rod” (2nd finished project, + favourite bike)

GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it

KTM 950 ADV, cos it’s 100% nuts

1952 Armstrong Siddeley Whitley for rainy days (with wife)

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 13.10. 2011 22:58 »
Hi Musky and KiwiGF,
I just HATE paying money for Sh**e parts
I am of the opinion that you have to buy from trusted sources, from guys who actually fit the parts them selves

SRM have their cams made in the USA (cant think of the name just now??) BUT they are the business  *smile*
I have had them recon the followers

That said I had a set of shite fork legs from them at one time *sad2*, no issues on exchange though

Autocycle Engineering get a lot of good parts made and arnt afraid to take out the micrometer before the send them half way round the world

Cheers
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 14.10. 2011 13:23 »
 G'day John,
                yep the cam from SRM, I did expect better. They had no followers at the time.
 I didn't know the followers were mca fireCRACKER brand when I ordered them. They say guaranteed MIE but I'd say with indian steel by illegals.
 Just tonight I fitted a new head light rim. I had to re-model all the W clips to fit.
 I also forgot to mention the new Indian front guard. CRAP is putting it mildly. *work* *angry*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 14.10. 2011 13:52 »
Sorry to hear about your trouble, musky. It is most frustrating, paying top money and still getting low quality stuff... I bet we've all had our share of it!

Ref followers:
I've made this little fixture (could be made much neater, but it was a quick try and does the job), which I give to my engineer together with the worn followers. Each single follower is put in the fixture and clamped with the bolt, slightly protruding about the fixture's outer diameter (matched to the radius of a proper, original follower), and the whole thing goes into the crank grinding machine for refacing. Some beer money for the engineer and another tenner for subsequent nitriding, and your worn-out followers have a new lease of life.
Maybe it's of help for someone. If you are really well equipped and have a grinding wheel that can be mounted on your lathe's tool support, you could even do it yourself using that.

Cheers, Markus
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

www.histo-tech.at - Restoration, Repairs, Racing

Austria

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 14.10. 2011 14:08 »
you had me beat with that one Marcus
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco