Author Topic: WARNING New underpants required!  (Read 825 times)

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
WARNING New underpants required!
« on: 15.10. 2011 20:55 »
Went to Stafford Show, all was well.

On way home, riding along the M42, doing about 70mph I had a sudden blow out on rear tyre. I had just overtaken some cars and was in the middle lane. The rear end lurched to the left, then back to the right and luckily it stayed on the right turning me to the left towards the hard shoulder. All I could do was pull in the clutch and hold on - on full right lock!! What was really lucky was that I was about 100 yards before the A45 "on ramp" which is two lanes wide and that's where the bike went, right across all 3 lanes, and stopped about 4 foot from the barrier.

I was certain that I was going to drop it, and remember hoping that I wouldn't get run over. Thankfully I had enough room to stop, I was totally out of control and must have looked like Ivan Mauger on acid. It it had decided to turn to the right, I would certainly have hit the central barrier and wouldn't be here to tell the tale.  *sad2*

Anyway, I had an hour or so wait for the very nice man [English joke] to come and take me home and that gave me time to think of the last time I had had the rear tyre off...  Hmmmm, I've had this bike for about 4 years and have never had cause to remove the rear tyre, renewed the front a few months ago but not the rear. Thinking about it, its probably rusted in the rim...  :!

I thought I would share this with you as a reminder, tyres and tubes need to be replaced, worn or not! Off to central wheel on Monday and live to ride another day.  *smile*

Regards

Andy

1960 A10 - Black Golden Flash
Plus
1974 Kawasaki Z1a
Yam XJR 1300

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
Re: WARNING New underpants required!
« Reply #1 on: 15.10. 2011 21:46 »
Its a hell of an experience isnt it Andy. I had the exact same thing happen a couple of months ago, luckily I was on a deserted country road so had no barriers or traffic to contend with.

Glad it turned out ok for you.

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #2 on: 16.10. 2011 10:26 »
NOT very nice at all, glad your okay! Why did it blow? nail... weak puncture repair, tyre got hot?? Must have happened at about the same time as I was checking my tyres on the A7 long stroke, I noticed the valve was at a sever angle to the rim, tyre creep in my case and all due to a slow puncture. At sometime I went out on low pressure and probably using the brake the tyre crept around the rim. Seeing the valve at that angle is a good warning that it WILL rip out if the holding nut is tightened up to the rim keeping it vertical. As you say... "tyres and tubes need to be replaced, worn or not! ".... So thats another job to do! Laundry day is a day earlier for you I take it.  *eek*
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 16.10. 2011 10:52 »
Scary isn't it?

Exactly the same happened to me on the Commando a few years ago, on the A45 by the airport. They'd been mowing the central reservation grass and I picked up a huge serrated nail that ripped the tube to bits.

There was a bloke behind me on a VFR750 and he said he had been convinced I'd lose it but somehow I managed to ride it to a stop - more by luck than skill.
Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 16.10. 2011 11:52 »
Hey Andy,

It seems that this happens more than you would think.

Yes, it happened to me once when I was loaded up with camping gear.  Bl**dy scary isn't it.

As already stated, mostly caused by low pressures and tyre creep.

I've since treated my tyres to that Puncture Seal stuff that automatically seals a puncture providing the hole is not too big.

I also don't tighten the nut on my valves so I can visually check for tyre creep.

Anyway, I'm glad all is well and you can put it down to yourself automatically doing the right thing in order to prevent a tragedy.  Experience shows in the end.

Beezageezauk

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 17.10. 2011 14:15 »
Guys

Thanks for all your comments. Maybe that stuff is a good idea, all I had was a small nail in the tyre. I had thought about a clamp as well to stop the rotation and ripping the valve out.

Cheers
Regards

Andy

Plus
1974 Kawasaki Z1a
Yam XJR 1300

Offline bikerjohndavies

• John Davies, Bath, UK
  • A's Best Friend
  • 1953 BSA A10 Super Flash Project
« Reply #6 on: 18.10. 2011 08:11 »
I had a similar experience last year on the dual carriageway from the M4 into Bracknell. Doing around 70 and passing a large truck in the outside lane when a pigeon flew up from the central reservation and hit me full in the face, luckily I had a full face helmet on but it still knocked the stuffing out of me. The visor was covered in blood and guts, making vision difficult. I swerved towards the hard shoulder just missing the truck and the following car where i managed to stop safely where I also had to sort out a change of underpants. Not something I want to happen again.
1937 Panther M100 Rigid, 1946 Ariel Square 4, 1952 Norton Model 7, 1953 BSA A10SF (WIP), 1958 BSA C15, 1961 Triumph T120R

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 18.10. 2011 21:16 »
Blimey, good job it wasn't a pheasant!

I'm rebuilding the wheel, new rim and all that. Also I'm fitting a clamp bolt so hopefully slow punctures will be - er slow.

Regards

Andy

Plus
1974 Kawasaki Z1a
Yam XJR 1300

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #8 on: 19.10. 2011 10:23 »
Not pleasant hitting a Pheasant Andy!  *doh*

Fitting new inner tubes... I cant speak highly enough about the extra thick motocross tubes. (Continental from KTM) I once changed a worn tyre with a thick tube fitted and happened to notice a wire brush wire strand embedded in the tyre on the inside poking through about half an inch, I just could not find the hole in the tube and it never leaked air. Needless to say that boosted my confidence in them no end.
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red