Author Topic: Rocket Gold Flash  (Read 12158 times)

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Rocket Gold Flash
« Reply #60 on: 01.10. 2010 21:06 »
HI Bill,
Its not as simple as comparing needle position and jet size  *conf* *conf* *conf*
The needle has most influence from approx 1/8th to 3/4 or a little more throttle
The main jet influences mix from about 3/4 throttle onwards
Pilot jet and slide cutaway work at the bottom end of th opening
All these bits overlap and lead to confusion *ex* *ex* *ex*
I believe when Richard says close the air slide he doesnt mean all the way!!!
maybe a 1/4 of the way or so!!

HTH
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #61 on: 01.10. 2010 21:41 »
Cheers John - yes I get what you mean, so there will be more work to do but for the now it seems happy and I wont be getting up into that last quarter for some time.
I got Richards meaning re the air slide (choke), I did not have to close it very far until it started to object, maybe less than a quarter so I don't think it wants to be any richer, and it's probably fine for running in.

With the sticky valve episode I tried some of the ZX1 Lube that Andy used in "Problem child", certainly had no valve trouble at all and the engine is a lot easier to turn over, however I can't say I was happy to leave it in there for running in so I've drained the oil out now after about fifty miles and filled up with Tesco's finest mineral.

Waiting for the Maggie to return now
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #62 on: 21.11. 2010 17:06 »
Well could find nothing wrong with the breather to account for the wheezing noises when turning the engine over slowly, so it's back together yet again,
My mate came down and suggested a compression test, seems ok the compression tester tube burst *eek*
Fixed the dynamo which was showing no charge on the ammeter, simply one - stuck brushes.
Put the points back into the maggie this time with the washers in the correct places although one washer was pretty shoddy I replaced it with a fibre washer for the time being ( have a complete assembly ordered ) and now have good looking sparks,  kicks back a bit maybe need to retard the timing a tad, will close the points half a thou.

couple of questions
 firstly does anybody know where I could get the washers for the points, cant recall what there made of it's not Mica I don't think

and secondly for anyone with a flash and a Rocket, do you find a difference in starting technique between the two, my flash requires no throttle at all for a cold start and very little for a warm start but the rocket seems to like about quarter throttle and wont start at all with no throttle.
I wonder if It's tuning the pilot jet is screwed out a fair bit further than the one and half turns, it's a 25.
Pick up when jerking open the throttle is great much better than the Flash and no sign of smoke or smell of richness.
The Flash seems to baulk if the throttle is opened to quick
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #63 on: 06.05. 2011 17:43 »
Yesterday did a spot of road testing, felt a bit vague steeringwise as I left the house, engine behaving much better although still pinks a little on hills
I took the aircleaner off and main jet and needle back to Rocket spec to rocket spec.
it had been running without pinking but plugs looked awful sooty - really sooty
Went twice around our block about 9 - 10 miles, started to weave, slowed down, front wheel puncture ~(turns out my fault) *red*

Hoping to pickup a new tube at Peebles (bike show) on Sunday.

I had noticed front brake shudder whilst out and about so thought this was a good time to get the front hub skimmed, I had measured with callipers, not a long way off true but our MOT man is hot on brakes.
I dropped it off at the shop, they must have been slack in there as I was told it would be at least an hour ( I was expecting days).
Picked it up late afternoon; 19 UK pounds, not bad the last one I had done was I think around 2000 and cost 12 UK pounds, seems it depends what they were doing prior to your job and how much they have to set up machinery.

So onward and upward
All the best - Bill

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #64 on: 06.05. 2011 20:42 »
G'day Bill,
             good to hear of your progress. Been a while since last update. I'll probably jinx myself here but it's been over 20 years since my last puncture.
  How's she running on rocket specs, I'd rather have sooty plugs than pinging.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #65 on: 06.05. 2011 21:53 »
I  was quite pleased with it Muskrat, sure once warmed up it pinged a bit just on hills, main jet is a little less than Rocket but to be honest I wasn't anywhere near using it, so mostly down to pilot , cutaway and needle, plugs were a nice colour maybe a bit on the dark side but I had done the last mile very slowly.
Pilot is 25 so could go to 30.
Have been advised to retard the timing a wee bit, It doesn't kick back so it's not far off, but this is worth a try, I'll do it by closing the points half a thou as has been discussed on this forum.
My other thought was to use a cooler plug like the N3s specified, thinking that it might be pre ignition due to the plugs getting hot, but general rule with today's fuel is to go one hotter.
Was hoping to get it MOTd next week but best get it running right first, then there is a kitchen mod/alteration being muted, my feigned deafness is not working as hoped.

Hope to have something posted re my experience with helicoiling head bolt holes sson
All the best - Bill

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #66 on: 12.06. 2011 21:20 »
Well I now have two bikes both road worthy at one and the same time, although the Rocket Gold Flash remains a wee bit illegal until I get it insured, MOTd and taxed in that order.
Got it out on the road for sea trails this afternoon, retarding the timing has helped to reduce the pinging, doesn't do it on hills but is still there on acceleration, judging by remarks on here maybe it's something you have to live with.
Went to the stated N3 plugs, they ended the run an excellent colour, not so much coffee, more latte, starting from cold is good, from hot not so good but it will star,t I think I just need to master a warm starting technique.
I'm pleased with the gearing, I went for just lower than standard gearing but not as low as side-car, the engine while still obviously tight is free revving and eager, but of course despite the slightly lower gearing lacks the low down torque of the Flash, I need to adjust my riding to make more use of the gears keeping it in the sweet range revving a bit faster than I do on the Flash.
The gearbox behaved itself, an odd clunk or two probably down to me but the gear lever returns to neutral now when changing down thanks to an extra gasket between the outer and inner cover.
Hellicoiling the barrels for the head bolts was interesting, got the holes drilled pretty good using my bench stand, tapping the holes was not so easy, getting the tap to start straight was the difficult bit, even turning it by hand in the bench press didn't stop it going off line, trouble was the tap I reckon, if I was doing it again I'd would ask for a set of taps that included a starting one.
I had to do all nine holes, seven of them I got really good, two are slightly off but that much out, there is plenty tolerance in the holes in the head for the bolts to allow for a very slight inaccuracy.
It was a job worth doing and very satisfying when torquing down to know  they weren't going to go slack suddenly.
Front brake nice and smooth after getting the hub skimmed, rear brake needs to bed in a bit, and then I'll set about this rod conversion.
The bike handles much better than the Flash, this is down to John Deere, it was one of there forklifts (with telescopic front boom) that I used to straighten the frame, bolted it to the garage floor. put a long solid bar down through the headstock, a good rope to the fork lift boom and thanks to delicate hydraulics was able to pull until it was vertical to the swing arm, actually had to go past vertical to allow for spring in frame, wonder how many of today's bikes would stand this after fifty years.

So once I get the bike registered I'll post a picture of both of them, then probably change my avatar to the RGF and bid farewell to the Treen
All the best - Bill

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #67 on: 09.07. 2011 12:15 »
So near yet so far
Had the Project out yesterday for a run on Bosch plugs (colder plugs as I thought to eliminate pre ignition from the list of causes of pinking) it did run well and I stopped three times to try hot starting, started every time. Chuffed I was, the Bosch plugs are silver electrode? they have a small centre electrode like an Iridium type.
Parked the bike on the drive and tried a hot start again before backing into the shed - nothing nothing and nothing. checked the plugs looked fine, plug earthed and kick - no spark  damn
I know it's not the maggie caused I've swapped them (off other flash) and both have been restored anyway and both work fine on the other bike.
I have the starting technique sussed I think seems to start best with little or no throttle.
I'm thinking two possibilities, 1. the gearing I'm using has a larger engine sprocket so less travel/speed when kicked over, would this be a factor at some engine temps?, perhaps not fast enough to produce a spark when warm ( points to the maggie again might explain why it's fine on the other bike as it's geared standard)
2. something else heat related with the maggie, maybe a small thing ( I have a new set of points with plate to put in ) any other unusual suggestions folks would be welcome, I'm off the steroids soon, have been using them as an excuse for grumpieness, will need to find another excuse if I can't get this motor on the road and reliable.

Some good news I have all oil leaks apart from one cured, the one remaining seems to be emanating from the crankcase somewhere behind the maggie, it's not the breather so looks like the crankcase halves are not as good a match as my other flash, it's a bit too much to live with I think, would also explain why no oil in the cam through when last had the barrels off.

Hey Ho
All the best - Bill

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #68 on: 09.07. 2011 13:52 »
G'day Bill, I see the Treen is still there.
                                                    Taller gearing can be funny. It's easier to turn over but turns over less, so for the same effort as normal you should be able to spin it a little quicker. Does that make sense? My 10.5:1 with tall gearing takes about the same effort to kick as my 7.5:1 std geared.
Did you try other plugs when she wouldn't fire?
I have a similar leak from the front behind the dynamo.
Keep at it.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #69 on: 09.07. 2011 14:17 »
Yep I see the reasoning Musky, it's still tight so I might not be getting the speed/spin benefit.
By the time  got it pushed into the shed and pushed a N3 into it it was making a spark, pretty weak one though, looking at the points though I spotted the spring was limiting the movement of the moving point, maybe not opening full, will fit the new points plate and see.
This is the annoying bit there is always something that MIGHT be the problem         

Used the old Flash to commute to a bit of seasonal work for the last three weeks, apart from a tankful of tired petrol ( a turn in of the pilot jet restored normal service) it performed faultlessly, impressed the boss "got a fair old crack about it Bill" and had a few old hands drooling over it
All the best - Bill

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #70 on: 20.10. 2011 17:19 »
YEEHA - I bring this weary sad tale to a conclusion.

The Pazon ignition  *loveit* has transformed the beast, Today I took it to Tweedmouth and had it MOTd, it passed no problem, rode it around to ASDA where the post office is sited and got it taxed (thought there might be more to it than that), probably will have to change the  classification on the V5c.

It starts no problem unless I forget to switch it on ( has been known a couple of times), runs great without pinking and the plugs are a good colour.
Now - to get it dirty

Many thanks to all of you for your help (and patience ) throughout
All the best - Bill

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #71 on: 20.10. 2011 20:44 »
 *clap* *clap* *clap* Great Bill, as the miles increase the smile gets wider. *smile* *smile*
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7