Author Topic: side stand a10  (Read 2501 times)

Offline rockthedog

• A's Good Friend
side stand a10
« on: 22.10. 2011 17:56 »
hi all my gold flash side stand is very short and have to put a brick under it, are they all like that or do you know of a quick fix cheers.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: side stand a10
« Reply #1 on: 22.10. 2011 19:17 »
no, if it needs a brick it's too short, a Picture would be good though so we all can see just what you have
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline rockthedog

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 22.10. 2011 19:20 »
no, if it needs a brick it's too short, a Picture would be good though so we all can see just what you have
thanks will sort pic tomorrow thank you

Offline bl**dydrivers

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 03.11. 2011 19:53 »
You could always get a new one from Burton Bike Bits, dont know of the quality and if theyre any good but always an option if you dont come across an original.

Online mark

• Melbourne, Australia
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 04.11. 2011 02:08 »
Both A10 frames that I have owned had bent side stand mounting brackets. This caused the side stand to sit a lot higher when extended. It's worth checking.

Mark
1955 Road Rocket
1953 Super Flash
71 Norton Commando Roadster 750
Australia

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 04.11. 2011 10:39 »
I have never understood the A7 / A10 side stand situation, some seem to be enormous and others are short Gold Star type. Perhaps someone can give us the rundown.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 04.11. 2011 11:10 »
I second that goldy it would be great to see some pics of stands original or otherwise

I need both stands for my 56 gf project but I will probably just have a sidestand to start with, the original centre stand seem to be impossible to find and/or very expensive apparently for reason goldies use it as well as the 56 gf . My 56 still has a usable Side stand frame lug

There are mixed comments on forums on pattern centre stands which puts me off getting one of those shipped to nz from the uk, I've also tried out a pattern side stand at 89 pounds plus freight and it was a loose fit on the frame tube and the distance between the 2 holes was a bit too big as well so it was no good.

My 56 bsa parts book lists 2 numbers for the side stand.  For a stand assembly it is 42-4765 for post frame ca7-2735 and before that frame no. the book lists separate part numbers with the stand being 42-4772 and frame half lug/bracket being 42-4776

I've been told the 56 has a sidestand with a kink in it but I don't know why it be different to other years it would be nice to see a pic of an oem 56 stand so I could maybe recognize one if I was lucky enough to find one!

Some suppliers also list 42-4769 for a side stand assy for A10's
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline Gonemad

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 04.11. 2011 19:28 »
I can easily understand that the cost of shipping and purchasing can be a problem for somebody living half way around the world, relative to the supplier.

However, a side stand is a very simple little item and I think that if I were in the situation I would cut up my existing stand leg, crudely weld in a suitable extension and form a bend to suit if required. When happy with the result I would then find a workshop to make a new leg and/or bracket from my pattern.  This would give you exactly the geometry that you require and would certainly be cheaper than shipping from the UK, with the unfortunate possibility of buying something that was unsuitable anyway.

My own side stand allows the bike to lean just a little more than I feel comfortable with, as you see from my avatar, and is irritatingly difficult to reach with the heel or toe to lower it when astride the bike. 
Perhaps I should follow my own advice then.

Offline rockthedog

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 04.11. 2011 20:29 »
I can easily understand that the cost of shipping and purchasing can be a problem for somebody living half way around the world, relative to the supplier.

However, a side stand is a very simple little item and I think that if I were in the situation I would cut up my existing stand leg, crudely weld in a suitable extension and form a bend to suit if required. When happy with the result I would then find a workshop to make a new leg and/or bracket from my pattern.  This would give you exactly the geometry that you require and would certainly be cheaper than shipping from the UK, with the unfortunate possibility of buying something that was unsuitable anyway.

My own side stand allows the bike to lean just a little more than I feel comfortable with, as you see from my avatar, and is irritatingly difficult to reach with the heel or toe to lower it when astride the bike. 
Perhaps I should follow my own advice then.

WELL  just been told by a good source, there are 2 stands for the a10, the later bikes have a 13" inch stand and early bikes a 10"inch, hope that helps