Author Topic: Fitting fork seals  (Read 733 times)

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
Fitting fork seals
« on: 28.10. 2011 11:17 »
Prompted by my visit to C&D.....

On all the bikes I've had (principally Nortons), fitting new seals has just been a matter of sliding the seal down the stanchion from the top end and securing it under the holder. But then Norton stanchions are the same diameter all the way down.

The lads at C&D say that because of the different diameters going down the BSA stanchion (which in truth are only slight differences) this will rip the new seals and I need to fit the seals & holders from the bottom - ie dismantle the forks, take the bushes out etc.

I'm a bit reluctant to disturb bits that seem to be working well. On the other hand, I do respect what they say.

The Haynes book of lies is characteristically silent on this point, however BSA service sheet 706 does echo C&D advice.

Any views?
Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Fitting fork seals
« Reply #1 on: 28.10. 2011 11:39 »
Hi Ian
I'm with C&D on this , it is a pain I know specially if you need a few go's to get the shims right and there's no way that clip is going to sit in it's groove if the shims are the slightest bit over.
PO of my latest A10 had cut the shims so that they would slip over the stanchion without needing it stripped down again, I thought this might be a good idea but have been advised here it's no so.
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 28.10. 2011 19:58 »
 I also agree, but, recently I have bought a couple of new hard chromed stanchions. One set had very little variance in diameter and the seals slid down easily.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline rockthedog

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 29.10. 2011 18:02 »
I also agree, but, recently I have bought a couple of new hard chromed stanchions. One set had very little variance in diameter and the seals slid down easily.
Cheers

yes me to new stanchions and seals went ok