Author Topic: re starting  (Read 1919 times)

liaimportsuk

re starting
« on: 05.05. 2008 13:55 »
 *sad2*can anyone help ive had japanese bikes for years but just acquired a goldflash 1961 650cc
and would like some help on how to start
ie do you just kick it over
regards
allan

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: re starting
« Reply #1 on: 05.05. 2008 16:11 »
Allan,

Welcome to the Forum and congratulations on acquiring an A10. Without hitting the books, which is not possible from here at work where I am squandering time, I can only comment on starting the auto-advance type bike. Basically, you should only need to hold down the tickler (a little button on the side of the carburetor that causes more fuel to flow toward the intake) and provide one or two kicks on the kickstart pedal. If all is well, she should fire up. If you hold the tickler down too long, she'll flood and twenty kicks might not do it. for a stuborn engine that hasn't started in a while you might try a small shot of starter fluid (ether, really). If this doesn't do it, then electrical and/or fuel troubleshooting is probabaly in order, but that is beyond your basic question, for now.

Trust me, you can get lots of help and advice here, including that from much more experienced A7/10 owners than I.

If you get a chance, please post some photos of your bike, as we are hounds for those pictures.

Richard

liaimportsuk

« Reply #2 on: 05.05. 2008 16:50 »
 *smile*thanks richard
will try that
allan

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 05.05. 2008 17:02 »
HI Alan
just to confirm what's already been said really
Cold start -turn choke to close - press tickler on carb until petrol is just evident - turn engine over once with kickstart - do not turn twistgrip much if any - let kickstart up to full travel - a long deliberate swing should do it.
Warm start - no choke- don't tickle - about quarter throttle - and another long deliberate swing.

If it wont start from warm then it may well be a magneto problem, changing the plugs sometimes works.

All the best - Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 05.05. 2008 20:41 »
My procedure with the A7 is:
Operate kickstart a couple of times with clutch in to free off clutch
Turn on petrol (never forget to turn off petrol when you stop the engine)
Press in carb tickler until petrol comes out
Swing kickstart

Mine has no choke lever and advance is automatic so there are only 2 handlebar levers. I find I need hardly any throttle to start from cold but sometimes need quite a lot when starting from hot.

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #5 on: 06.05. 2008 21:23 »
Yup. Pull clutch lever in and operate kick start until clutch plates are free (they often are already, but it's good discipline and a wise precaution against the day they're not (it's only the oil that makes them a bit sticky)). Turn fuel tap on. Tickle by plunger on carb (prime like a lawnmower) until a visible dribble comes out of the carb and smells nicely flammably dangerous as it goes earthwards. If fitted with manual advance and retard, retard at least half way ie pull lever towards you (normally) to avoid it kicking back at you; if fitted with choke/air slide (loads of us don't bother) close it if the engine's cold. Then, a whiff of throttle, not too much, and a decent kick . . . . and hey presto. When hot, forget choke slide - ie leave it open - don't tickle the carb (unless the thing won't go straight away), and just kick it. . . . Sometimes in the twilight zone between hot and cold, the thing might not want to go . . . in which case, a gentle tickle of the carb usually does it.
However, it does have to be said that a tentative or gentle exploration of the lever's arc, accompanied by pleasantries about the aesthetics built-in by the nice man at BSA, is not what's required. That leads to a sore right foot as the thing spits back, mocking the inept. A firm, smooth, determined, full-length prod is necessary to emphasise who's in charge here. If in doubt, eat more and gain a few kilos! Dominance never felt or sounded so good . . .
Bill