Author Topic: I won a trophy!!  (Read 644 times)

Offline Hubie

• Dave Huybens
  • Valued Contributor
I won a trophy!!
« on: 10.11. 2011 23:53 »
G'day Lads,

Last weekend I went on the 59 Club of Australia Mods vs Rockers run.  There were around three hundred bikes and scooters there with five awards on offer.  Best lambrettta/vespa, best non lambretta/vespa, best british and best overall.  I ended up being awarded the best overall bike for my A10.  She's not concourse but I think the judges appreciated what I had to go through to get her going properly and that she's made for very regular use.  Very chuffed!

Cheers,
Dave.
Good Advice
No reactions
1959 BSA Golden Flash
1956 Royal Enfield Super Meteor
1955 Royal Enfield 350 Bullet
2007 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200 Custom

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse get's the cheese!

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: I won a trophy!!
« Reply #1 on: 11.11. 2011 00:06 »
Congratulations! Certainly deserved, and very kind of them to fashion the trophy in your likeness.

Richard L.
Good Advice
No reactions
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020. This year it's a solo or pillion ride in dapper attire. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #2 on: 11.11. 2011 04:51 »
Well done Hubie, that looks like one of the Joe Bar characters.

Guess you wont ride it any more, just spend all your time polishing  wink2
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline Hubie

• Dave Huybens
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 11.11. 2011 04:57 »
I wish it was fashioned in my likeness, that rider has more hair than me  *smile*
Good Advice
No reactions
1959 BSA Golden Flash

Offline Gonemad

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #4 on: 11.11. 2011 11:52 »
Well done Hubie, and well done the judges.

I hope that you don't mind Hubie but I copied your post to the MG Car Club in Britain.
Last year, at their International event at Silverstone, MG Live, they ran two parallel events, Concourse and Pride of Ownership. I was disappointed to see that the judges didn't seem to understand what Pride of Ownership meant and awarded the POO prize to a car that really should have been in the Concourse group. I noted that there were several people with cars that were clearly well loved and used but they didn't were simply dismissed with a passing glance by the judges: I observed and reported back to the MGCC at the time and, as just said, have forwarded your post.
Hopefully the MGCC will brief their judges properly next year allowing a proper result such as yours.

Well done again,

Angus
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #5 on: 11.11. 2011 12:41 »
Well done Dave...we know how much you have gone through in getting your A10 running.... a well deserved trophy! makes it all worth while don't it?
Good Advice
No reactions
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline Hubie

• Dave Huybens
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 12.11. 2011 01:40 »
Thanks LJ and Angus,

Perfectly happy for my post to be used elsewhere.  I am certainly not skilled enough in painting and polishing, and have heaps to learn from a mechanical and electrical point of view.  That said I am thoroughly happy with what I've managed to do on my own and with the help of all the great folks here.  The Pride of Ownership type award is a great one I reckon as it does recognise what we here all know about owning these machines. 

Anyone can pay big dollars for a concourse restoration, and there are some (on this site also) who are so good they can do that themselves.  For the little bloke like me to wants to learn and do it all himself, it's all about knowing that the machine you're riding is running how it is because of the rider, and this just adds to the enjoyment of ownership.  For us Aussies here, the main judge was 'Spannerman' from Motorcycle Trader magazine.  I met both him and Rob Blackbourne who were both very friendly blokes and great to talk to.

Cheers,
Hubie.
Good Advice
No reactions
1959 BSA Golden Flash