Author Topic: RGS headlamp shell  (Read 5151 times)

Offline Sunbeam

• A's Good Friend
RGS headlamp shell
« on: 13.11. 2011 14:41 »
Can anyone tell me if the headlamp shell was different for the RGS, i.e did BSA use the Super Rocket shell for touring RGS's and a 'unique' shell for the clubman which had a QD wiring harness. Any info would be great as the shell on my bike has seen better days and I will be on the lookout for a replacement as soon as I find out what to look for.

ps. When I bought my 1962 RGS a couple of years ago, it came with a new wiring loom (colours nothing like in the Haynes manual) and it would be nice to fit a clubman shell or am I asking too much on my Christmas wish list!

Howard.

Howard

Offline Pilgrim

• North Kent. U.K.
  • A's Good Friend
Re: RGS headlamp shell
« Reply #1 on: 13.11. 2011 18:07 »
Hi Howard,
As far as I know all RGS's used the Gold Star headlamp which I think were
all supposed to be Q/D. From the parts books complete headlamps were part no's; 19-0543 R/H dip
and 19-0529 Vertical dip. Super Rocket was 19-0544 and 19-0558 for export. So I guess
there is a difference. Len Haggis lists a pattern Goldie part as a 19-0543. Could be worth a ring!
With a bit of luck someone might come up with more info.
Cheers.
Regards, Geoff.
1962 R.G.S.
1963 R.G.S.
2004 Bonnie. T100.

Offline Sunbeam

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 13.11. 2011 22:00 »
Hi Pilgrim, thanks for the info. My bike had a rewire by a dealer before I bought it, must have crimped all bullet connectors using side cutters! Found the headlamp shell had been welded up whilst I was replacing the mag kill switch earth wire. Be nice to get a pukka shell. Did the QD plug screw to the back of the Gold Star RGS headlamp shell?

Howard.
Howard

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 14.11. 2011 11:33 »
Not sure, but the pukka loom which I mistakenly threw away some years back because the QD 5 pin plug surrounding rubber had perished thinking it would be easy to get a replacement, didn't have any screws involved and plugged in underneath at the lower rear of the shell.
Let us know if you find a source for the headlamp and plug/socket. It is not the same as the one Triumph used on some later model or other.
Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #4 on: 14.11. 2011 12:06 »
The last person that I know of that actually stocked these items was George Prew. This is his wiring harness. I have no idea if he still has this item for sale.
I know that Ace Classics can build a plug in loom.

Ace Classics London (Tiger parts)
101 - 103 St Mildreds Road
Lee, London SE12 0RL
020 8698 4273.

ace_classics@lineone.net

Ace classics are Triumph dealers so I cannot be sure if the loom would have the same fittings as the RGS/Goldie loom. The price when I enquired was £80 + £10 P&P. I have searched extensively through many catalogues, and the internet but have never found anyone that stocks the correct plug and socket (that is all that is needed to convert the wiring harness). I have more or less given up hope.

John

Offline Pilgrim

• North Kent. U.K.
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 14.11. 2011 13:36 »
Hi Howard.
The attached should be of interest to you. It's from the Britbike forum (Google it).
I could only get a screenshot, my computer skills wouldn't allow me to do it properly!!
Hope it helps.
Cheers.
Regards, Geoff.
1962 R.G.S.
1963 R.G.S.
2004 Bonnie. T100.

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #6 on: 14.11. 2011 13:53 »
Here is the whole Goldstar/RGS headlamp assembly. http://www.ebay.ph/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270778679397 Note the price that it went for!

John

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 14.11. 2011 13:59 »
First photos I've seen. Brings tears to my eyes when I remember what I threw away.

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #8 on: 14.11. 2011 14:35 »
Brings tears to my eyes when I remember what I threw away.

Alan, I think all of us have similar regrets. As a matter of interest both the correct Goldstar/Rgs switch and plate are still readily available. Now that I have seen how the QD lamp set up is configured I think I will investigate the Ace classics loom more closely. This is what they say on their website "Early replica parts on offer range from QD Wiring Loom for 1949 TR5, '60-62' pre-unit TR6 and T120. This loom was also to be found on the Gold Star BSA, Rocket Gold Star and many other competition machines of the period including the AJS marque." Can anyone confirm weather the the looms are the same?

John

Offline Sunbeam

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #9 on: 14.11. 2011 14:49 »
Thanks Pilgrim, alan, John, for sending me this info, now I will know what to look for if I ever come across one. Wonder if the shell and actually sold for £350 on ebay? Suppose good point to start looking is auto jumbles. I know 'AUTOSPARKS' make up wiring looms to order and have used them numerous times for other electrical parts, so will try them if ACE CLASSICS can't deliver and I happen to locate the correct headlamp shell....(and it will probably come complete with hens teeth!)

Thanks again

Howard.
Howard

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #10 on: 14.11. 2011 15:37 »
Sunbeam, It is apparent from those photographs that there is nothing special about the headlamp shell. Indeed George Prew told me that all one needed to do was to cut a hole in the bottom of the shell to accomadate the socket, and also to change the  light switch and switch plate. The ammeter will not need changing it is the same. The dip switch wiring is not part of the QD plug and socket set up as can be seen by refering to the photographs on the ebay page. The dip switch is connected by bullet connectors.

John

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 14.11. 2011 15:45 »
I'm missing something here John. What do you mean by changing the light switch and switch plate?
Alan

Offline Sunbeam

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #12 on: 14.11. 2011 16:30 »
Thanks John. Yes I agree, could make hole for QD socket in bottom of shell. From photo, it does look like the dip switch / horn / magneto kill button wiring is still taken through bottom of shell.

Howard.
Howard

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #13 on: 14.11. 2011 16:33 »
Alan, the light switch that is supplied by default with all the headlamps that are widely on sale is type U-39.(image sw.ipg) The correct type for the Goldstar/RGS is in fact type 41-SA(image goldstarsw.jpg). The plate shown with switch type 41-SA (image swplte.jpg) is not normally supplied as part of the switch and usually has to be purchased seperately. The change is only for the sake of appearance there is no difference in function. It depends on how much attention to detail you want to pay. The SA-41 switch is the same as that fitted to the later A10's.

John

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 14.11. 2011 21:03 »
Consequently the ammeter/switch plate doesn't have the odd shaped cut-out for the U39 switch but a "D" shaped hole.

Trev.