Author Topic: RGS headlamp shell  (Read 5148 times)

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: RGS headlamp shell
« Reply #15 on: 14.11. 2011 22:30 »
Here is one from the shelf which will go onto my RGS eventually, if I can find the elusive plug.
Rumours say that the plug is the same as fitted to the series 1 Landrover tailgate but they are few and far between these days.
If you look at the shell, you will see that the socket position is flattened with a large diameter hole and 4 radial slots for the securing screws.
Inside is a circular plate with a large hole in the centre and 4 holes for the screws.

Trev.

Offline Sunbeam

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #16 on: 14.11. 2011 23:08 »
Thanks for posting the photos Trev. Did the shell come with your bike?

Howard.
Howard

Offline trevinoz

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 15.11. 2011 02:07 »
No, Howard, the bike was smashed in about 1967 and an ordinary shell was fitted.
I have had the bike since 1971 and know some of its history, probably most of it. It was one of 2 or 3 sold locally.
I came across the shell in a dealers shed and paid too much for it but they are pretty rare.
I think that the Triumph TR6 used this shell along with the Goldie and probably some others.

Trev.

Offline Sunbeam

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #18 on: 17.11. 2011 00:52 »
Hi Trev, thanks for the info. Going to keep a lookout in ebay and magazine ads for a headlamp shell. Think it a bit of a long shot though.
I'll check out the TR6 headlamp as a possible, but may end up using a standard shell and cutting a hole in the bottom like John suggested.

Howard.
Howard

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #19 on: 17.11. 2011 09:37 »
hi guys, found this bit of info about headlight wiring,cheers,Bob

The Gold Star 500cc DBD34 and its smaller brother, the 350cc DBD32, were in great demand as a road bikes for the ton-up boys. The factory sold them complete with a plug-in wiring harness so you could remove the headlight to race it at weekends, then refit your lights and head off to the café for some more posing.
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Offline Sunbeam

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #20 on: 17.11. 2011 15:10 »
Thanks Bob and also to the other forum topic contributors. I'll let you all know of my search for the holy grail!

Howard.
Howard

Offline Taffy

• Moving Up
« Reply #21 on: 17.11. 2011 23:31 »
Hi Trev,Ive not been on here for a while but i do have a QD headlight and brand new loom (front part with the plug) original lucas top to tail with the rare lucas "cats eye" lucas logo lense .Bolt on and go condition.Doubt ill use it but its obviously quite desireable.If you have lots of non sequential unmarked twenties let me know Taff 

Offline trevinoz

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 18.11. 2011 00:23 »
G'day Taff,
                        I'll just go and print a few, probably need to be hundreds for that!
I only need the plug and will be right.
I have seen the loom only go for ridiculous sums! [with plug]

Trev.

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #23 on: 18.11. 2011 10:49 »
I have toyed with the idea of fitting a QD headlamp, and I can understand why people may wish to do so for the sake of authenicity, but there are potential problems that could arise. All connectors are liable to suffer from the effects of corrosion (bullet connectors in particular) and the plug and socket are only a push fit conection. Given that the dip/kill/horn connection is not via the plug and socket but is via individual bullet connectors the set up is not really truly QD. My experience of bullet connectors is that they are troublesome and that they do not like being disturbed. The bikes that were sold in touring trim were never fitted with the QD set up. In my opinion a QD set up is just one more source of potential trouble due the ingress of moisture and the fact that you are making joints in the wiring harness that are not absolutely essential. Even the headlamp socket does not have a water resistant barrier. I am not saying do not fit a QD headlamp, but just be mindful of the added potential for problems that it could introduce. Motorcycle electrics are not the best thought out wiring systems. Maybe it is best to leave well alone?

John

Offline trevinoz

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #24 on: 19.11. 2011 05:11 »
John,
          I don't think you are correct in stating that the touring RGS didn't have a QD headlight.
If you look at the road test from 1962 the plug can be seen and the bike is a tourer.

Trev.

Offline Taffy

• Moving Up
« Reply #25 on: 19.11. 2011 09:46 »
Hi, in real life electrics/electronics is a weak point and as made by prince Joe of darkness some forty plus years back will certainly make life interesting.As initially stated QD was probably the simplest method at the time to whip a headlight off and reatach,quite an elegant solution for the time.Nowadays our RGS`s are not often driven to the track on the weekend and to work all week in fact probably rarely at night or in rain,so a QD setup is as much about decoration as function.
  Taff

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #26 on: 19.11. 2011 18:07 »
I don't think you are correct in stating that the touring RGS didn't have a QD headlight.
If you look at the road test from 1962 the plug can be seen and the bike is a tourer.
Trev, well spotted! You are quite right. A close study of the 1962 road test photograph does indeed reveal a QD headlamp as being fitted, and the featured bike is definately a tourer because it is not fitted with rear sets. I had never looked closely at that photograph before. Well done mate. I made that statement on the basis of information published in a magazine article on how to spot a fake RGS (written by by a supposedly noted RGS expert). Interestingly there is no mention of the headlamp or wiring harness in the RGS parts list of April 1962.

On the more general topic of parts and fittings, in the Gold Star parts list that I have for example, there is no mention of a QD headlamp. Two headlamps are listed with the part numbers 19-543 (R/H dip) and 19-529 (vertical dip) and the illustration shows the U39 switch as being fitted. In the real world I have seen Gold Stars in Clubmans trim fitted with QD headlamps and with non QD headlamps, and Gold Star tourers also equiped with both QD and non QD headlamps. None of them that I have seen have ever had the U39 lighting switch fitted they have always been fitted with the 41-SA type. The reasons for this are probally because people have fitted whatever was available or what was affordable. Who knows? For reasons unknown BSA choose to use the the same illustration even though it might not depict the actual part described in the part list. Misleading information can arise due to many reasons, and that is one of them. All anyone can do is to research as thouroghly as they can. Even then it is possible to get it wrong.

Taff, I agree that many of the weaknesses in the QD design in this day and age are not that important, and although a few were raced all those years ago most were not. The QD headlamp facility was more likely to have been added as a "go faster" option rather than any serious attempt to make the bike a out and out sportser. Of one thing we can all be sure. No matter how hard we try to get our bikes right, there will always be somebody that wants to find fault.

John

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #27 on: 10.04. 2012 10:38 »

For those who might be interested. The QD headlamp plug and socket is now available from Tri Cor. tricorengland@gmail.com (44) 01432 820752. The part number is RS123 and it costs £35 + p&p

John