Author Topic: A65 QD hub and rear brake on A10 modification. Need some advice & thoughs  (Read 3255 times)

Offline Fast 58 BSA

• A's Good Friend
Hi all,

I am converting my '58 GF frame to QD hub & half width drum from a65/A50. I have all the parts, including the A65 half axle/stub axle. After some initial and rough measuring I saw that the A65 stub axle is about 12mm longer. What is the best of way of doing this modification? Do I use the pre unit half/stub axle and make a spacer to take up the extra space (being smaller in diameter) in the brakeplate? How about bearings and other related issues in the QD hub? An do I need to worry the chain alinging correctly with this set up? For the torque bar I was going to weld a lug to the swingarm.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of mod? Or even better any pictures of how they have done their swingarm/brake mod. Appreciate any thoughts  and advice before I begin (to minimize chances of screwing it up too bad... ;))

Thanks
Carl
Telemark, Norway

'58 Golden Flash project bike - reborn as angry dual carb cafe racer/rgs rep

Offline Fast 58 BSA

• A's Good Friend
Judging from the overwhelming response *smile* this is maybe not a recommended mod? I really like qd hub/half drum set as opposed to the heavy full width hub but is my choice of modding A65 parts is not a good idea? ????
Telemark, Norway

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
 G'day Carl,
               we are waiting for you to figure it out and tell us  *smile*.
Measure twice, cut once. Use a clamp (exhaust type) on the s/a for the arm.
Might need to space the sprocket or set up hub with sprockets in line and adjust the spokes to get the rim central.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Fast 58 BSA

• A's Good Friend
Muskrat,
Thanks for the response.  *smile* I'll get started as once my workshop is ready, closer to Christmas. I am gathering input and thoughts (and a bit of courage, perhaps as my project is a big one). In regards to clamp on swingarm I read elsewhere that a fellow ha used 1/4" flat bar, bent and welded with good results.  As for the axle set up I need to do some more thinking...perhaps pressing in a bushing in hub to accept smaller diameter a10 axle?
Cheers
Telemark, Norway

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
hi guys,here`s one that moves for adjustment to the wheel, are they all adjustable? cheers, Bob
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
Hi,
When I ran into problems with my set up, Scotty very kindly went out to his shed and measured up all the dimensions of spindles and spacers on an A10 QD hub. I've posted the link to that thread below. Comparing those dimensions with the bits you've got may well be of some help, of course you'll also need to compare dimensions of hub sprocket brakeplate bearing etc.

http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php/topic,874.msg5712.html#msg5712

Cheers,
Iain

Offline Fast 58 BSA

• A's Good Friend
Iain,
Thanks for the link. Looks like it will give me the info I need to judge whether my set up will work with some (significant) mods. This forum is really fantastic. Now, time to do some measuring...
Telemark, Norway

Offline BSARoadRocket

• Moving Up
Hello,
   I converted my '58 A7 to a QD type rear brake assembly from the full width iron hub and it's a fairly easy modification.  It's really just a matter of removing the old brake anchor and chain guard mounting points on your swing arm and welding new QD/GS type mounting points on in the correct place so you are really just replicating the GS swing arm.   You will need a GS type left stub axle since the A65 stub axle is longer than the equivalent A10 part and the rest of the parts can be borrowed from an early A65 since they were the same as the '54-55 A10 QD.  My big input here is that the '56-57 A10 swing arm had a very large axle hole to make way for the large Ariel type axle so if you can you want to use the '58-63 type A10 swing arm from  a bike with the cast iron brake drums.  Even the '58-63 swing arm has a slightly larger hole for the axle on the right side and I solved this by making  a small sleeve  on a lathe as  a spacer to go over my axle which I held in place with locktight.  I then discovered that many of the A65 axles have a little shoulder already on the axle so if you get one of these axles you don't even have to bother making the spacer like I did when using an original GS type axle for my conversion.

'47A7, '50GF, '53SF,  '55RR, '57GF, '58A7daily rider '60GSCatalina
'39T100, '506T '56TR6, '62TR6SS '49NortonDominator,
'73HD sportster.  Most are works in progress with much progress yet to be made!

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
 That's a good bit of info to know BSARR, thanks for that and a big WELCOME from down under.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Heya Fast58, My 2bobs worth is that the A65 chainwheel runs a smaller metric bearing,larger bolt on 47T sprocket, and there is some difference in the chainwheel bearing housing offset,which probably not such an issue for a swingarm but not so easily adapted to a plunger, as I discovered(fits but just well enough to not be right). good luck ,duTch  
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Fast 58 BSA

• A's Good Friend
Ok, the modification is under way. I looked into the gs dummy, but the diameter is too small for the a65 brakeplate and main axle (I must have later a65 rear brake set up?) So now I have resorted to turning down the length of the original a65 dummy axle to get the sprocket in correct alignment. Problem is that there won't be enough material to support the main axle in the dummy. So...have to make a new dummy and main axle using the modified original dummy as template. Nothing like a challenge *smile*
Telemark, Norway