Author Topic: in -line oil filter  (Read 7716 times)

Offline bonny

• Valued Contributor
Re: in -line oil filter
« Reply #15 on: 16.12. 2011 18:09 »
Is it ok to mount the norton type filter on its side ?

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 16.12. 2011 23:03 »
Hi Bonny,
There should not be a problem mounting the filter in any orientation!!
On cars they are mounted at every concievable angle???
The only thing is that it can be a bit messy when changing the filter
I also would not mount one above the level in the oil tank in such a way that the oil could drain down into
the tank ??
It would not really matter, its just that it would take some time for the filter to fill and the oil start returning to the tank, while you fretted as you look into the tank *eek*

HTH
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Dynamo Regulators Mike

• A's Good Friend
  • Fareham, UK, 1960 A10
    • Dynamo Regulators Ltd
« Reply #17 on: 29.12. 2011 17:22 »
Another option for fitting the Norton/2CV type filter  *idea*. Minimal oil line length, and blue canister to match.
I was pleased to be able to fit it onto the ski slope. (Holes easily filled in unlikely event of wanting to return to full originality.)
Pleasingly neat I think  *smile*. Shame about the paint finish  *sad2*
Now the previously fitted earlier type WDB40 Vokes filter is freed for use on my B50 where filtering will be useful but not so critical on the mostly roller bearing engine (but also clutch).

Mike Hutchings
A10, T800
Director, DRL www.dynamoregulators.com

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #18 on: 29.12. 2011 19:54 »
hi just joined the forum. Im thinking of fitting a oil filter kit on my A10 also .Is there a reason why its conected to the oil return feed rather than the direct feed to the engine
thanks neil  ????

To fit an oil filter on the feed (rather than return) would necessitate plumbing it in between the oil pump and the crank (big ends/timing side bush feed), which would require redirection of internal oil ways. This would provide pressure into the filter. I have thought about it and would be quite feasible particularly if the dynamo wasnt fitted as the filter could be plumbed inside that case up front, but quite a bit of work compared to an easy return side solution.

However like the popular opinion here, I have opted to plumb a small car filter on the return side.
Fitting it vertically (as per those toolbox examples shown) allows for removal without spilling the oil from the filter everywhere

Most importantly make sure your oil tank is extremely clean as the return filter doesn't remove existing debris in that.
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #19 on: 29.12. 2011 19:57 »
Another option for fitting the Norton/2CV type filter  *idea*. Minimal oil line length, and blue canister to match.
I was pleased to be able to fit it onto the ski slope. (Holes easily filled in unlikely event of wanting to return to full originality.)
Pleasingly neat I think  *smile*. Shame about the paint finish  *sad2*
Now the previously fitted earlier type WDB40 Vokes filter is freed for use on my B50 where filtering will be useful but not so critical on the mostly roller bearing engine (but also clutch).

I do like the vokes filter. I understand these were fitted to the 1954/5 daytona A7SS rigid race bikes.
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline Dynamo Regulators Mike

• A's Good Friend
  • Fareham, UK, 1960 A10
    • Dynamo Regulators Ltd
« Reply #20 on: 30.12. 2011 12:15 »
The BSA racing boys clearly knew something about the oil system which was not required or acceptable (to the cost accountants?) for normal production. Plain bearing motors require clean oil. And in general it is particulate running round and round the system which accelerate wear. Hence the full flow filter anywhere practical in the loop does a good job.

The Daytona restoration/replica guys persuaded Vokes successors (British Filters?) to make new filters to the old drawings. Shame they did not (AFAIK) to set up to produce a bigger batch. Surely there would be a healthy market for a neat period looking filter. The earlier element was wire supported gauze, and washable. Later ones in similar envelope were paper.   
Mike Hutchings
A10, T800
Director, DRL www.dynamoregulators.com

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #21 on: 30.12. 2011 19:11 »
 G'day all.
Just fitted a sNorton type (uses Ducati filters) to the '64. Took a while to make brackets and plumb. As I started the bike the wife walked in. After a minute ( I was waiting for return to the oil tank) she asked about the black stuff running over the floor. Guess who didn't tighten the filter. DOH
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline isuzu

• Moving Up
    • Isuzu club Holland
« Reply #22 on: 31.12. 2011 13:59 »
Hi, I'm a new A7 owner and want to place a filter in the return line too. I have one question though before I will cut  up oil lines etc; what do you with the plumbing to the filter and back to the tank.
Is it possible to cut the 8 mm metal pipe you see between the union on the tank and the flex part (cut right in the middle so you can put a rubber hose on both sides), put a rubber hose on it to the oilfilter and from the oilfilter put a rubber hose on to the 8 mm pipe back into the tank?
Or do I need another flex return line?

Groetjes Dick

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #23 on: 01.01. 2012 06:32 »
G'day isuzu, welcome to the forum.
                                               What model do you have? Sounds like a plunger or earlier.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline isuzu

• Moving Up
    • Isuzu club Holland
« Reply #24 on: 03.01. 2012 07:47 »
Thanks for the pic's. I have a "56 swing arm A7. At the tank the return is a kind of 8 mm elbow pipe. So this is another situation. I could cut the elbow right in the corner, but it do'nt leave much "flesh" to put the oil lines to. So that's why I am curious how others did this.

gr
Dick

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #25 on: 03.01. 2012 19:19 »
 G'day Dick,
                I wouldn't go cutting any hard pipes or fittings. Lengthen and re-rout the flexable return line before it branches for the rocker box. That way the oil going to the rocker box gets filtered twice (sort of).
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #26 on: 04.01. 2012 01:06 »
I fitted my filter underneath the ski slope. I removed the oil line from the old fittings and used new tubing to "plumb" it.

The filter I used is a long skinny type that uses the BSA/Triumph triple filters. With my set up I have to remove the ski slope to change the filter but that only takes a few minutes.

The whole set up is very concealed and you have to look close to even know it has a filter fitted.

There are a few types available, here is one mob who make one specific to A10's.

http://www.britcycle.com/products/631Series001.htm

Offline isuzu

• Moving Up
    • Isuzu club Holland
« Reply #27 on: 10.01. 2012 10:15 »
Thanks for the replies guys;
I will cut the braided return, lenghten it with 8 mm pipe / rubber hoses. The filter Brian suggests is a really nice one. But can't find one in Holland where I live, so I go for the Norton filter instead which is easy to get.

groetjes

Dick

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #28 on: 10.01. 2012 11:45 »
 The sNorton type filter head takes Ducati 900/750 filters. RF153.
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline 0116harley

• Moving Up
« Reply #29 on: 11.01. 2012 09:25 »
Hi everyone
Ive been considering fitting an oil filter kit, and and theres some good ideas about places to mount them, but my question is as i only cover about 1500_3000 miles a year. And change the oil every year would i really gain anything buy fitting one of these kits
thanks neil  ????