Author Topic: what type of clutch  (Read 1081 times)

Offline tenko

• Moving Up
what type of clutch
« on: 20.11. 2011 18:40 »
hey folks,
             Out for a ride the other day for 2 or so hours when the clutch on my a10 started to slip,only just got round to taking it apart to see where the  problem is. But i cant identify what type of clutch i have,the insert plates are definitley lacking  all seem to be consistently 144-148 , would they all wear that evenly across the entire clutch?  Also i don't seem to have plain metals either they are dished with slots, and again all seem to measeure 61 -63, according to haynes these measurements are completely out. Can anyone shed some light on what type of clutch i have pleeeeease.

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: what type of clutch
« Reply #1 on: 20.11. 2011 19:57 »
It's a standard 6 spring clutch.
                                                    Trev.

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 20.11. 2011 20:05 »
Hi tenko, you have the standard six spring clutch and so far as can be seen from the pics it looks ok. Would not worry too much about the thickness of the plates as long as the corks are proud of the plates and the steel plates not distorted or damaged it possibly just needs adjustment. The six springs need to be tight enough to prevent slipping but not too tight to make clutch operation difficult. It,s not very scientific but tighten the nuts and at the same time keep operating the clutch lever to ensure the clutch does not become too tight. Also ensure that the outer plate is square and remains square when released. all the best with it.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #3 on: 21.11. 2011 15:39 »
Hi Tenko, i've got to say that if you need to get the right info re the 6 spring clutch this forum and the people here are the one's to do it! Follow there advice and it will work, but when looking around jumbles keep an eye out for a 4 springer and centre ,sorry but has I've mentioned before I had nothing but trouble from the ones fitted to previous A10's I've had and I just can't get along with 'em. sorry to be negative but i can't think of any saving grace for this clutch, hope you get it sorted Bob H
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline tenko

• Moving Up
« Reply #4 on: 21.11. 2011 19:02 »
Thanks for the replies, i think i need some new steels,have taken all the burrs off,and refitted,adjusted it so it's just biting without slipping, Went for a ride, clutch is working fine, its even a bit easier getting neutral. Pulling away from a roundabout gearside footpeg fell off.   Note to self must check all nuts n bolts.    Put pillion peg down , rubber slipped off.    I managed to recover the footpeg,but the pillion rubber went walkabout.    Anyhow i enjoyed the ride.   

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 22.11. 2011 14:59 »
Got the std 6 spring clutch on mine. Fairly hard to pull at the lever and slipping a little now that I'm through running in. Tried running with ATF but it just drops out of the chain case quicker. Thinking about bolting in one from SRM this Winter. Has anyone experience with these? Particularly with regard:

- lever pressure
- Ease of set up
- Change in gearing (as in I don't want to)

Thanks
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza