Author Topic: New Member  (Read 1442 times)

Offline Black Flash

• Moving Up
  • 1961 Golden Flash
« on: 29.10. 2011 14:53 »
Hi to everyone from NC, USA
I found you from a search for BSA info and was surprised and happy to see an all A7 & A10 forum.
A little background.
I am retired (8/11!!!!) from a truck driving career, owner/operator for 16 yrs, 2 million miles. Previous jobs included computer technician, various automotive related jobs, and 8 yrs in USAF. I have been a motorcycle rider and owner since childhood but sold my last bike when I got into trucking.My bike is an A10 Golden Flash that my Dad bought new in 1961 and brought home in the shipping crate and assembled himself. I was 14 at that time and remember helping him and subsequently spending time on the back with him. I never had the opportunity to ride it myself but am looking forward to that event as soon as I can. A short history of the bike:My Dad rode it up until 1973 when he discovered a crank shim in the oil when he drained it. The motor was torn down and the lower end checked and reassembled by a friend of my Dad. My Dad never finished reassembling the motor and the bike sat until a few years ago when he asked me if I wanted it. Of course I did! I now have it running but have a few issues to resolve before I can ride it past the end of my street.
The first is to get it registered. Not difficult but does mean extra NCDOT paperwork because it was never titled and no recent reg. The other is the dynamo isn't working. I did the standard test but no volts. Well, thats it for now. Will be glad to answer any questions. Gary
Gary
1961 A10 GF
NC

Offline mike667

• A's Good Friend
Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: 29.10. 2011 14:57 »
welcome Gary - always glad to see another A10 fan in the states - do you ever into the ton-up club guys in NC. Alex, a member is a  BSA guy, and may be able to provide you w/ local info for part/repairs etc and is a frequent poster here

mike

Offline Black Flash

• Moving Up
  • 1961 Golden Flash
« Reply #2 on: 29.10. 2011 15:07 »
Hi Mike;
I just recently brought the bike back here from upstate NY. I haven't been riding for several(16) yrs and haven't spent any time until now looking for other owners. I would like to talk to Alex and any others in NC. Thks
Gary
1961 A10 GF
NC

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 29.10. 2011 20:25 »
 G'day Black Flash, welcome to the forum from downunder.
                                                                               Great to see a bike handed down. Has he seen it on the road again?
Full rebuild kits for the dynamo are about $150 and easy to do.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Black Flash

• Moving Up
  • 1961 Golden Flash
« Reply #4 on: 30.10. 2011 12:08 »
G'Day to you too;
My Dad has seen it and heard it running but don't know if he will actually ride it.
He gets around very well for his age(87) but has to be careful. I will be taking it up north
in the spring to do some riding with my wifes two nephews, two brothers in law and the guy
who reassembled the motor. They all will get to ride a classic British bike. He might be ok
with riding then. I will at least get some pictures with him on it.
Thanks, Gary
Gary
1961 A10 GF
NC

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #5 on: 30.10. 2011 21:18 »
Hello & welcome, nice to read about the bike's family story.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Black Flash

• Moving Up
  • 1961 Golden Flash
« Reply #6 on: 31.10. 2011 02:39 »
Hi a10gf;
Thks for the welcome. I have a son who rides and a grandson that I hope will too.
This pic is of one of my nephews and me right after the first test ride. Only a 1/4 mi up the road and back.
I am on the right in the HD shirt. It wil be used to polish the A10. (Just kidding)
This will be my first pic so bear with me if it didn't work.
Thks, Gary
Gary
1961 A10 GF
NC

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 31.10. 2011 03:05 »
It worked great. Looking forward to more photos. Also, welcome from here in Chicagoland, as well. Jealous of the extended riding season you wil have, versus it being too wet and cold here right now. Hoping for Indian Summer.

Just in case there is a fellow in SC you are thinking of using as a machine shop, let me know and I will give you an earful offline. :( :o

As for your dad being 87, as long as he doesn't fall off, I think the joy of riding with you (we're talking him on the back, right) should be pretty life enhancing. (Don't take this as official medical advice. After all, the handle isn't "ManoMedicine".)  I am starting to think of what it's going to take to kick it over 20-odd years from now when I'm about your dad's age. First thought, 9:1 pistons must go.  *smile*

Richard L.

Offline Black Flash

• Moving Up
  • 1961 Golden Flash
« Reply #8 on: 02.11. 2011 12:53 »
GM Richard,
The only good thing about bad weather is it gives us time to work on the bike without
feeling guilty about not riding. Being from upstate NY I don't miss the long winters. I don't
particularly appreciate the humidity in summer here but everywhere has it's bad part.
Same here on the old timer riding. Now that you bring it up I will have to find a way to
kick it over then too. Maybe move to a place on a hill? In the spirit of the holiday, a pic
of Capt Rex on my son's Buell taking a break from saving the galaxy. Gary
Gary
1961 A10 GF
NC

Offline Black Flash

• Moving Up
  • 1961 Golden Flash
« Reply #9 on: 21.11. 2011 23:05 »
Hi All;
An update to my efforts to solve the charging problems can be found in the electrical section.
I also have nearly gotten to the point where I will have a DMV tag to cover the lonely spot
on the rear mudguard! The last piece of paper is in the mail and should be here this week. If
someone here in NC or other states will be going through the process, I may be able to give
you a couple of tips to help reduce the # of trips to DMV.
Gary
Gary
1961 A10 GF
NC

Offline Black Flash

• Moving Up
  • 1961 Golden Flash
« Reply #10 on: 13.12. 2011 04:25 »
Hi All;
An update to my last post. A license plate has now made it to the rear mudguard and looks great. It took over three weeks of effort
including trailering the GF to two dealers for appraisals, three trips to DMV, two amendments to the title bond (two weeks waiting for them in the mail), and two revisons to the Inspection forms due to typo errors. My patience was put to the test several times. But it's over now and I have put a little over 200 miles on since then. It has been quite an experience as this is my first British bike and I haven't ridden in a long time. I spent some time in our sub-division getting used to the right side shifter and left side brake before venturing out on the highway. After that I only need to be careful to keep the rpm's and speed down until the rings have some time to run in. A couple of issues to resolve this winter, small timing cover leak, new clutch plates, brakes front and rear, new silencers and various other bits to replace or renew. Plenty to keep me busy till spring. Will take a few pics of the local area next time out but have enclosed a couple from here of one of my grand-daughters and hopefully a fourth generation owner/rider of this GF. Gary
Gary
1961 A10 GF
NC

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #11 on: 13.12. 2011 08:44 »
 Great news Garry, well done, it looks great.
it don't take long to get used to the controls, I have 4 different ones. Usually sorted by the SECOND corner  *eek*.
 Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline old53

• Moving Up
  • Saphire Coast NSW Australia
« Reply #12 on: 21.12. 2011 09:29 »
Hi  Black Flash -  a late welcome  and  and congrad's on the rego. Its something we all can appreciate, myself  in particular "that first  legal ride" as I have only just recently got my A10 back on the road  after many years sitting in the shed.