Author Topic: MOT OLD BIKE  (Read 1813 times)

Offline rockthedog

• A's Good Friend
MOT OLD BIKE
« on: 03.12. 2011 20:48 »
hi all , just had my other A10 in for M.O.T ,failed on brake meter (roll in road brake test) THEY NEVER HAD THEM FOR MOT in the 50s,so why put a 57 year old motorcycle through a 2011 MOT ,said there was slight movement on the brake meter and will need the hub skiming, ITS A NEW OLD STOCK CAST IRON HUB WITH 43 MILES ON IT i am not a happy bunny.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: MOT OLD BIKE
« Reply #1 on: 03.12. 2011 21:09 »
Slight movement should be OK, both my A10 show a slight movement but my MOT guy passes them reckons it's nothing compared to the deflection he's seen from warped discs
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 04.12. 2011 07:16 »
You should thank him and get it skimmed.  Didn't you notice the brake going "on-off-on" when used on the road?

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #3 on: 04.12. 2011 08:02 »
But was it good NOS or NOS that was pulled from the scrap bin in 1970 ?
Have you measured it ?
Is it actually round ?
Is it running true ?
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 04.12. 2011 09:31 »
Didn't you notice the brake going "on-off-on" when used on the road?

Unless he uses different measuring equipment to the place I get mine done a slight reading (say 1/8th up the dial) wont be felt on the bike at all, the vibe you get from an oval'd drum would show a much larger reading and result in a fail.

Could be we're talking different versions of "slight"
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 04.12. 2011 11:19 »
I can only imagine that the tester applies similar ovality or even-ness standards to all the brakes he tests and this BSA wasn't up to it.  I can't see that the tester is wrong, from what we have been told.

The tester is hardly going to care whether the drum is "new" or what it cost.

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 04.12. 2011 11:25 »
If it's a new hub that implies the wheel has been rebuilt. Uneven spoke tension can easily cause this and as others have said it needs to be skimmed.

The braking requirements for MoT aren't very stringent and anything that can't meet them shouldn't really be on the road (except perhaps my NSU Quickly......).

Another argument against scrapping the MoT for pre-1960 vehicles.
Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 04.12. 2011 11:37 »
except perhaps my NSU Quickly

Oh another Quickly owner, although I had mine fifty years ago, bought for me by my Dad so that I could travel the seven miles to work, bought new from Larry Foreman in Berwick, I was grateful as it was a better option than a push bike (just) but was a bit miffed as there was a used Triumph Cub in the shop too  *sad2*
Anyway back to subject - I agree with the spoke tension comment, surprises many folk that a cast hub can be pulled but they can be (been there)
All the best - Bill

Offline rockthedog

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 04.12. 2011 15:30 »
I can only imagine that the tester applies similar ovality or even-ness standards to all the brakes he tests and this BSA wasn't up to it.  I can't see that the tester is wrong, from what we have been told.

The tester is hardly going to care whether the drum is "new" or what it cost.

well just had a re-test at another mot centre and got a pass , nothing said about the brake test.

Offline Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 04.12. 2011 17:26 »
How do the brakes feel?

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #10 on: 06.12. 2011 15:20 »
Hi Guys , although I am a cautious man , and agreeing with thoughts re obvious ovality, bad old drum  and totally in agreement with the spoke tension point let's not just agree with the MOT guy.
 The place I use in liverpool is owned by a classic bike enthusiast and although He is strict ,He also applies rules sensibly and also will listen to the owner ,who He admits has invested a lot of time ,money and enthusiasam into his bike. He won't allow something dangerous but he also  won't try to apply all current legislation to 52 yr old bikes (in my case)  for instance he knew how awfull the rear cross over brake is ,and was prepared to make allowances ( not needed ,just about ) for it but also knew the front was a singlesided 8" which should be good and expected it to be up to scratch,which it was . He always adds it may be my mot station registration on the line but it's your neck.
So what I'm saying his that if rockthedog honestly feels the brake is good and in his own honest opinion ,without taking into account the urge  we all understandably have just to ride our pride and joy's , I'd try somewhere else ,whereabouts is are you based ,maybe a forum member lives close by, if so ,who do they use? try that mot centre  if no forum member let me know the area and I'll forward contact details for the local BSAOC club they will know who to use. If it still fails or even if it doesn't but the braking doesn't get better when linnings are run in a bit strip it down and get it checked . best wishes BobH.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline 0116harley

• Moving Up
« Reply #11 on: 06.12. 2011 16:53 »
Hi all
the mot station  i take my bikes don't have a roll in road brake test as such. You just put the brake on hard and he puts a strap round the front wheel,an uses a kind of winch to see how good the brake is.Same applies to the back.Think the kit he uses came from a museum.
cheers neil

Offline rockthedog

• A's Good Friend
old bike mot 2
« Reply #12 on: 06.12. 2011 22:05 »
hi to you all and thanks for the replys on the last post i made , my front brake felt fine and no judder at all, also no movement on lever, went to another test centre, and had no problem ,  *smile*

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #13 on: 08.12. 2011 14:41 »
really pleased you got it sorted , looks like he was just being a jobsworth, best wishes BobH.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #14 on: 08.12. 2011 18:59 »
Bike MoTs are a bit of a joke. One year they were trying to fail mine because there was no split pin on the rear wheel spindle! I protested that they didn't have split pins on them in 1948. The bloke squirted a drop of Loctite on the end of the spindle and wrote out the pass certificate!