Author Topic: a10 plunger smoking  (Read 3661 times)

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: a10 plunger smoking
« Reply #15 on: 15.12. 2011 20:42 »
well done Gavin
Good news; suggest you buy a pipe, and keep the cleaners!

Tenuous link to the subject but my dad used to smoke a pipe now and then, used Erinmore mixture, had a lovely smell, others I new used a strange stuff called "plug" I think, resembled a century old black pudding that they carved a slice off, stuffed it in their pipe and lit it, I seem to recall them using about twenty matches to a pipe full.
Any of you guys join your A10's in a smoke like that ? *smil*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

beezermacc

« Reply #16 on: 18.12. 2011 18:35 »
Ref Gavin's smoke on start up, sounds like typical wet sumping to me. Most A10's do that. I've just bought a Bri-Tie one way valve to cure mine.

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
« Reply #17 on: 18.12. 2011 20:03 »
He said it stopped when the oil cap was released. Which wetsumping wouldn't do.

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 18.12. 2011 20:07 »
Good luck with the one way valve when it becomes no way!

Offline cus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #19 on: 18.12. 2011 21:37 »
I think it could be a combination of wet sump & blocked tank breather,

Cus
56 G/Flash project

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #20 on: 18.12. 2011 23:17 »
hi guys/Beezermacc, can`t make out the engine Beezermacc has got in that bike in his Avatar, is it an A10? cheers,Bob
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 19.12. 2011 09:16 »
Don't look like an A but beezermacc  might shed some light (there's a pun there if you can work it out)

Just had a look at his web site, wish he'd been here when I had all my Magneto problems, might send him my redundant one to sort out when time and sheckles allow
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline cus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #22 on: 19.12. 2011 20:52 »
It looks a bit like a Harris Matchless engine?

Cus
56 G/Flash project

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #23 on: 20.12. 2011 11:37 »
Depending upon where you live, beetles , bees & wasps an cause you grief with your oil tank breather.
We have a lot of case moths & wasps here who seem to love using oil breathers to metamorphose in or lay eggs in.
Had the tank off the M20 for a week earlier this year and a wasp decided to domocile in both of the fuel lines.
And didn't that give me some grief 240 km into a 300 km ride when they finally broke up and blocked the filter in the banjo.
So it is always a good idea to fit a long clear hose to the breather so you can see that it is clear.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline Gavin

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #24 on: 20.12. 2011 12:14 »
After a great run Starting out with far less smoke and making the old girl work a bit down the highway keeping up with some pretty pacey traffic, I'd have to be pretty happy with how she is going.

Will play round with mixture settings to try and eliminate a damp exhaust.

Thanks for the advice in the post... will keep an eye out for insects. Most of the ones I collect are on the front of the bike or on my visor.

For the record I gave up smokin a pipe at 15. So the pipe cleaners may get twisted into a new "Rider" for the wooden model BSA on the Piano !!!

Offline MB-Transits

• Moving Up
« Reply #25 on: 22.12. 2011 07:51 »
well I have cleaned out the pipes on the oil tank replaced the oil pressure valve & its still smoking
bsa 1960 SUPER ROCKET
BSA 1960 RGS CLUBMAN REP

beezermacc

« Reply #26 on: 26.12. 2011 07:52 »
It sounds like we have two distinct problems here. If we look at Gavin's original post there is no reference to removing the oil cap etc. so I still think Gavin's problem is wet sumping. Recent runs have started with less smoke because he has used the bike day by day, and it clears on a run. Whilst I wouldn't recommend a one way valve (as supplied by Bri-Tie in the UK) even though the proprietor has sold thousands of these, it has completely cured my wet sumping problem. Furthermore, starting a bike which has wet sumped can cause serious damage, believe me, I've seen it - blown oil seal and burst gaskets due to hydraulic lock in the bottom end, primary chaincase full of oil.

I would be interested to hear an update from Old-Bikes-Are-The-Best who has a different problem where the bike stops smoking when the filler cap is removed. If this genuinely solves the problem then riding round with the filler cap removed would presumably effect a cure, and no!, I'm not suggesting that as a serious permanent recommendation, just a pointer to where the problem lies, i.e tank breathing.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #27 on: 26.12. 2011 10:36 »
If we look at Gavin's original post there is no reference to removing the oil cap etc.

Gavin's original post
help  I have an a10 plunger which smokes its had the bottom end done rebored new pistons & rings
valves & guides but its still smoking when I take the top off the oil tank it stops
any one got any suggestions how to cure it

Too much sherry trifle beezamac *smiley4*

All the best - Bill

beezermacc

« Reply #28 on: 26.12. 2011 13:07 »
Too much sherry trifle? Yuk? Don't touch the stuff, much prefer single malt. I think you'll find the original post was posted by 'old-bikes-are-the-best', where there was mention of removing the oil filler cap.  Gavin responded to the original post but went on to describe a slightly different problem of his own where there was no mention of removing the oil cap. It's a pity that two different problems have got tangled up in the same thread. Too many chocolate liquers BSA Bill  !!

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #29 on: 26.12. 2011 13:27 »
Too many chocolate liquers BSA Bill  !!
OOPS sorry about that beezermacc, yep I was thinking of the original post

I'll put it down to yesterdays red wine, no Liqueurs for me though , too much sugar in them, but my last employer chucks a bottle of Grouse at me every Christmas so I'll sup a wee bit by way of apology  *beer*
All the best - Bill