Author Topic: camshaft pinion  (Read 909 times)

Offline 0116harley

• Moving Up
camshaft pinion
« on: 03.12. 2011 10:35 »
Hi everyone just thought i'de share with you a problem i've had with my A10.
After pulling it apart for the second time i think i've found an engine noise which was doin my head in. I found the camshaft pinion to be slighlty bent , think the previous owner maybe had a go at extracting it with a couple of screw drivers. Maybe should have spotted this first time i done the rebuild, but think thats inexperience on my part. Just brought a pinion of  ebay which i hope will do the trick.
cheers neil

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
Re: camshaft pinion
« Reply #1 on: 03.12. 2011 15:59 »
If it,s the pinion gear that was bent then it would take a lot of force to bend it. The drive gears will not stand much mis -alignment because they will force the teeth into the wrong mesh ie the centres will be slightly different, so I would carefully examine the other gears because this may have caused wear or damage to them.
All the best Goldy
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 03.12. 2011 16:11 »
Questionable if force like that was applied via a screwdriver whether the pinion or the case would have given up first,  could it be that key as chief culprit - pinion tightened with key cocked up behind it ??, just a thought
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline 0116harley

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 04.12. 2011 14:10 »
Hi all the other gears seem to be ok, get your point about the amount of force being applied with screwdrivers and the damage it would cause to the cases.Anyway fitted the new pinion today and a new key,everything seems to be running straight and smooth so thinking maybe was the key after all.
cheers neil