Author Topic: valve spring dimensions  (Read 410 times)

Offline ianbsa

• Moving Up
valve spring dimensions
« on: 29.06. 2020 19:44 »
Found some good info on the spring issue from previous posts etc as I'm trying to get to the bottom of my mid engine rattle so figure I ought to check every moving part with a tooth comb.

Does anyone know the wire thickness for the A7SS valve springs. I've just measured length and dia which  seem spot on so reckon they could be originals as I got them from C&D autos over 40 years ago....yet  they feel kind of heavy with quite a bit of resistance.

Maybe they are patterns and the wire is too thick? 

Muchos appreciated

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
Re: valve spring dimensions and rocker drain holes
« Reply #1 on: 29.06. 2020 20:21 »
big spring 0.1605 give or take a breath, small spring 0.0970 give or take a deep breath

Offline ianbsa

• Moving Up
Re: valve spring dimensions and rocker drain holes
« Reply #2 on: 29.06. 2020 20:31 »
big spring 0.1605 give or take a breath, small spring 0.0970 give or take a deep breath

Catch my breath.. That's terrific thks Berger...is that from an original set or a pattern set you know are good to go. And think I'll drop the rocker hole query...must stop looking for probs that don't exist.

Had a good measure and whilst the small one is tricky to get the mic on the wire ,Im getting .105 so is probably good especially as the large one is bang on ur measurements.  Thks so much that's really helped.

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: valve spring dimensions
« Reply #3 on: 29.06. 2020 21:10 »
that's from some old ones I have next to my feet in the living room along with other various engine bits I keep near by, or in the spare bedroom or kitchen or even freezer if its a bearing I might want to put in a case one day *whistle* don't worry about the rockers I made a serious boo boo that required a full engine strip and the rockers were starved of oil for over 50 miles no damage, the camshaft and other major bits were a bit fed up though *bash*

Offline ianbsa

• Moving Up
« Reply #4 on: 29.06. 2020 21:30 »
that's from some old ones I have next to my feet in the living room along with other various engine bits I keep near by, or in the spare bedroom or kitchen or even freezer if its a bearing I might want to put in a case one day *whistle* don't worry about the rockers I made a serious boo boo that required a full engine strip and the rockers were starved of oil for over 50 miles no damage, the camshaft and other major bits were a bit fed up though *bash*

Let me guess, you welded up the drain holes?

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 29.06. 2020 21:47 »
no didn't weld up the holes, nearly welded pistons to bores , put oil pipes on wrong way round in a  hurry to get to cadwell park, chucked a circlip out , ground up bore with pin flattened cam and followers , plus other bits, full engine re-build but just new shells in rods. all cylinder head and rocker box was used again.