Author Topic: cylinder head  (Read 3647 times)

Offline 0116harley

• Moving Up
cylinder head
« on: 14.12. 2011 20:41 »
Hi all
Need a bit of advice on this one, ive got a cylinder head i want to fit on my A10.The problem is there are some deep marks which looks like someones had a go with a file, the deepest mark is at a guess about 15 tho deep.Asked at the local motorcycle shop about this they suggested to use a metal glue.Not sure about this.               cheers neil

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
Re: cylinder head
« Reply #1 on: 14.12. 2011 21:04 »
Yes Neil,

It's sometimes referred to as Plastic Metal.  Apply it like putty and after it sets you can file it to shape.

The instructions often say that it can be drilled and tapped but I've never been brave enough to go that far with it.

Read the instructions before you buy it and satisfy yourself that it's fit for purpose.

Beezageezauk.

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 14.12. 2011 21:20 »
J B weld is your friend, nothing else will do!

Offline t20racerman

• A's Good Friend
  • Keep it nailed!
    • The T20 'Super Six' Suzuki website
« Reply #3 on: 14.12. 2011 21:25 »
Alternatively, strip the head and get 15 thou skimmed off the head surfaces.
Also, don't use bought in gaskets as they all seem to be rubbish - buy some 0.8mm gasket paper and cut your own. Make them a bit wide and trim to size after assembly with a sharp blade.
1944 WN/G based trials Ariel
1961 A10 - somewhat modified :-)
1967 T20 Suzuki - heavily modified Classic Racer
1967 T20 Suzuki - pretty standard road bike
2007 KTM 660 SMC - fast and furious supermoto
Triumph Tiger (modern one)

"If I had all the money back that I've spent on motorcycles... I'd spend it all on motorcycles!"

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 14.12. 2011 23:33 »
Also, don't use bought in gaskets as they all seem to be rubbish - buy some 0.8mm gasket paper and cut your own

Yep, I totally agree with that
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline 0116harley

• Moving Up
« Reply #5 on: 15.12. 2011 20:58 »
Thanks for the advice guys. Think i'll get the surfaces skimmed seems more of a permanent fix
cheers neil

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 15.12. 2011 23:20 »
Unless you are worried that you might not be judged a 94 at the next Concours d' Elegance, in my opinion the skimming isn't worth what it's going to cost. After all,  the objective is to hold in the oil, and JB weld would serve that purpose. Hell, maybe even a thick slather of Permatex would do. Back to the JB Weld, it's black and should not show up on the painted cast iron head. Anyway, unless you do the vibration-damped head steady (described elsewhere on the forum) , chances are you'll leak a little anyway. Finally,  maybe you won't have to remove the valves.

Richard L.

Offline chilblayth

• Moving Up
« Reply #7 on: 15.12. 2011 23:32 »
yes  i agree !  jb weld or similar will be fine i think , i remember a head repair on an xt500 where someone had been porting overenthusiastically and gone through into rocker area , oil was being sucked into the inlet port !!!!!!    looked like a james bond smokemaker  *smiley4*     turned up a alloy base plate secured it with ARALDITE    and it was perfect  *smile*    these modern epoxy adhesives are really  good  *ex*

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #8 on: 16.12. 2011 11:37 »
The magic goop is Davcon.
It was designed for temporary repairs in places like ship engines and mining equipment.
Not cheap but works perfectly.
I have used epoxy putty sold as a radiator repair for fixing holes in crankcases for years and it works very well .
SR500's have a bad habit of popping the brake lever toe through the case if they fall over.
I had one repair last for 11 years of abuse as a courier bike.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

beezermacc

« Reply #9 on: 18.12. 2011 18:30 »
I definitely would not skim the top of the head. This will alter the angle of attack between the rocker arm and the valve stem. It may not make a lot of difference but its surprising how one thing leads to another.........

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #10 on: 18.12. 2011 19:09 »
 G'day all,
             JBWeld would be my choice. But if you do remove the guides to skim the head I'd be replacing them as well. And the amount taken off the head and/or box can be compensated by using a thicker copper gasket from Lanni. http://www.coppergaskets.us/MCExamples.html
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 18.12. 2011 19:41 »
Well it will do that to some degree right enough beezermacc, as will using thicker gaskets, a compression plate, skimming the other side of the head and changing the camshaft or using reground followers.

Going off at a tangent here but thinking about compression plate (surely that should be decompression plate) will it have the effect of softening the cam
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline 0116harley

• Moving Up
« Reply #12 on: 18.12. 2011 19:54 »
Thanks for all the feedback on this. Change of plan,never used j b weld or any kind of metal glue before. So i'm gonna give it a go. It does save all the hassle of taken the guides out. Maybe a good idea to wait till the weather warms up. As i should imagine this stuff dont work that well in freezing conditions. And the wifes getting fed up of bike bits in the house (women i'll never understand them).
cheers neil  *smile*

Offline rockthedog

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #13 on: 26.12. 2011 16:17 »
yes jb weld did it for me been ok for last 5 years now *smile*

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 26.12. 2011 18:15 »
Neil,

Test a small amount (say 1/2 teaspoon) of the JB Weld on a piece of cardboard set to cure outdoors. Being a two-part filler, low temperature should not prevent curing, just make it take a long time, but probabaly a lot shorter than waiting for the weather to change. The manufactturer suggests a heat lamp to speed things up.

Richard L.