Author Topic: The effort you can go to to enable badly made parts fit....  (Read 491 times)

Offline t20racerman

  • A's Best Friend
  • ***
  • Join Date: Feb 2011
  • Posts: 226
  • Karma: 7
  • Keep it nailed!
    • The T20 'Super Six' Suzuki website
I bought I nice new siamese for £107, but the little pipe had the wrong profile for the exhaust port in the head, wasn't long enough where it went into the head, AND was slightly too narrow meaning it was a loose fit both in the head and where it clamps up to the other pipe.

I needed to use it, so did, and therefore couldn't return it, but the little pipe keeps working loose and it was driving me mad. So, I made up a loop, braised it to the inside of the pipe, made up a little aluminium spacer to fit in a hole in the head (didn't want to damage the head) and then made a spring to hold it all together!

So, got a cheap pipe and saved a few quid, but spent about 3 hours continually refitting the loose pipe, then several hours working out a solution, making the spring and ally spacer,  braising the loop, fitting and testing it (it works!)...

That was one bargain!  *conf*
1961 A10 - somewhat modified :-)
1980 TZ350 - lunatic Classic Race machine
1967 T20 Suzuki - heavily modified Classic Racer
1967 T20 Suzuki - pretty standard road bike
2007 KTM 660 SMC - fast and furious supermoto
Triumph 675 Speed triple
Ossa 250 and yet another T20 racer in bits both being built up

"If I had all the money back that I've spent on motorcycles... I'd spend it all on motorcycles!"