Author Topic: rgs replica question  (Read 1688 times)

Offline MB-Transits

• Moving Up
rgs replica question
« on: 06.01. 2012 20:01 »
hi guys what parts are need to convert a 1955 gold flash into a rgs replica
bsa 1960 SUPER ROCKET
BSA 1960 RGS CLUBMAN REP

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
Re: rgs replica question
« Reply #1 on: 06.01. 2012 21:04 »
A frame.

Offline MB-Transits

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 06.01. 2012 22:19 »
wont the 55 frame be ok it has the the same brake set up as a rgs with the rear brake hub on the left side
bsa 1960 SUPER ROCKET
BSA 1960 RGS CLUBMAN REP

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #3 on: 06.01. 2012 23:05 »
There are plenty of members who know a lot more about RGS's than me but I think the first thing you need to sort out is just what you want.

Do you want a bike that looks like a RGS, chrome guards, silver tank etc. or do you want to build a accurate copy of a RGS. As usual the more "correct" you want it to be the more expensive it will be.

If you are just wanting a "lookalike" then the 55' frame will be a good start.

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 06.01. 2012 23:36 »
Hi,
If you have a 55 Gold Star or even a proper Goldie frame I think it would be mad to go and build a replica from this base point  *eek*
A Goldie frame is worth a LOT of ££$$???,
You could probably buy a complete replica if you sold the frame
Equally so it would devalue a "proper" goldie hugely if you go and fit a twin engine into one

If on the other hand the frame you have is a 55 B31, this is probably as good a place as any to build a RGS rep from  *ex*

My usual ?0.02's worth

Cheers
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 06.01. 2012 23:42 »
I should have read your original post more carefully.

John is right, if it is a Goldstar frame as in single cylinder then leave it alone. If you want to build a RGS replica find a 54' or 55' twin frame and start with that.

Offline MB-Transits

• Moving Up
« Reply #6 on: 07.01. 2012 06:20 »
thats what I have a 1954-55 frame in fact full bike just wondering what other bits I would need
to make an accurate  replica
bsa 1960 SUPER ROCKET
BSA 1960 RGS CLUBMAN REP

Online beezermacc

• Resident Legend
  • Not for the purist!
    • Priory Magnetos Ltd.
« Reply #7 on: 07.01. 2012 07:05 »
Here's a pic of mine. http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1015436250029660939eZgiiaJgonIt comes fairly close to a RGS with the exception of the 190mm front brake, siamese exhausts, RRT2 box. The parts I've mentioned were optional anyway. There is an official RGS options parts list somewhere. It also depends whether you want to build the 'touring' or 'clubman' option. Nearly all the conversion parts are available from suppliers in the UK and elsewhere. With the following you will get close....
Mudguards and stays, fork sliders with correct mudguard stay mounts, hard chrome forks, spring shrouds, Headlamp with ammeter and switch panel, plug-in wiring harness, clip-on set, round sided tool box and oil tank, ball end levers with GS type adjusters, 4" badge tank (WDB40 can be converted or buy new Indian version), alloy head and associated carb and pistons and cam depending on the spec you want (and big bearing crank), correct engine/gearbox/rear wheel sprockets for correct gearing (forgotten the number of teeth but it's in the Bacon book),rev counter and rev counter drive timing cover, kick start pinion and folding kick-start, seat, rear set footrest mounts to weld on, rear set footrests, chrome rear guard, open type number plate. This will probably start a massive argument about what a RGS did and did not have. Before anybody starts ripping mine to bits I did say "it comes close" - most importantly it's a nice bike to ride and I'm not trying to pass it off as the genuine article.
Priory Magnetos Ltd - A10 spares, magneto and dynamo refurbs. www.priorymagnetos.co.uk

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 07.01. 2012 09:58 »
Hi  old-bikes-are-the-best
Bit of a conundrum here, your Goldie given a fair wind could be worth a lot more than a RGS replica, might even be that the difference in values would purchase a rocket giving you the basis for a RGS replica, OK the frame would be wrong but even with a genuine Goldie frame the bike you intend to build is still a replica.
Although I most of us know all about the constraints of available cash for our projects it's worth thinking about what both a Goldie and a RGS replica would be worth together *loveit*
Also I can't recall ever seeing the Goldie kink in the frame of a RGS ( genuine RGS owners will correct me here please does the frame on your bikes have the kink in for the Goldie oil pump or did BSA use new frames made to B range spec but without the kink - can't recall seeing the kink on a RGS ), I'm thinking  old-bikes-are-the-best your going to bash the kink out of a Goldie frame  *dunno2*
Whatever you decide all the best with it

All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 07.01. 2012 13:54 »
No kink in the bottom frame tube Bill.
Just a few extra points - four cast lugs at the front engine mounts, Super Rocket style steering head wrap around gusset, if single sided front brake fitted it would be the finned type hub which also applies to the rear brake hub, Goldie type top steering yoke without the steering lock/hole, individual mounting brackets for the clocks mounted off the fork top nuts, chrome chain guard, late model primary inner and outer cases, open style rear number plate/light holder, SR centre stand and mountings with return spring on the left hand side, SR seat and correct size 'Goldie' tank and of course the obligatory 'Goldie' rear end swingarm/rod operated brakes.  There are others.. but don't ask!
Rule number one - Don't butcher a 'Goldie' or a Goldie frame to do this!
Rule number two - If you want to get close to an RGS, enough to have the 'experts' having to look real close for tell tale signs of a replica it will take a lot of work so ideally start with a frame with the correct rear end i.e. '55 ish and not a Super Rocket.
Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 07.01. 2012 15:44 »
Rule number one - Don't butcher a 'Goldie' or a Goldie frame to do this!

Yep that was what I trying to say in too many words, however as always it is to each to follow their own intentions and best of luck with them.
I know quite a few of the RGS differences but never fancied making a repro, for me once I step away from standard there's just too many tempting paths to explore, I start with a fuzzy vision of what I'm after and let it develop - not the best method I'm sure but fun fun fun
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 08.01. 2012 01:36 »
A bit of confusion here, just what frame (bike) do you have old-bikes-are-the-best.

Is it a B (single cyl B31/B33 etc) series that has a kink in the bottom right frame rail or a A (twin cyl A7/A10) series which doesnt have the kink.

If its a A and its from 54' or 55' it will be a good starting place for a RGS replica.

Offline MB-Transits

• Moving Up
« Reply #12 on: 08.01. 2012 10:22 »
Hi its the A  sieries frame cheers
bsa 1960 SUPER ROCKET
BSA 1960 RGS CLUBMAN REP

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 08.01. 2012 13:27 »
Geez, I'd be guessing if I said you need a engine and a frame, and all the other bits listed above, and by the time you've swapped everything over, you should have enough bits left to build a reasonable Gold Star??....from duTch
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 08.01. 2012 15:37 »
Ah now sorry guys I presumed somehow we were talking about a goldie frame.
Just disregard everything I said, the wife does
All the best - Bill