Author Topic: close up pictures of footrests  (Read 2279 times)

Offline tenko

• Moving Up
close up pictures of footrests
« on: 08.01. 2012 21:22 »
Hi folks , i'm having trouble attaching my footrests to my 58 s/arm A10, i have just acquired the correct parts for the year frame,i have searched through the haynes manual and cannot find any good piccies to assist me. Is there some one out there who could take some close up pictures of how the rider footrests are attached to the bike please. Which side does the smaller footrest tube go. Any assistance greatly appreciated

beezermacc

Re: close up pictures of footrests
« Reply #1 on: 08.01. 2012 22:43 »
Pictures attached.......

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 08.01. 2012 22:53 »
hi guys/Tecno, hope this helps,cheers, Bob
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Offline tenko

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 10.01. 2012 11:25 »
Thank you v much .   You are stars.     just off to my shed  to fix it cheers.

Offline tenko

• Moving Up
« Reply #4 on: 11.01. 2012 21:31 »
Now i know where the parts fit , it would appear that i now have to source 2 new footrests,cos the 2 pair i have will not fit with the new tubes,Grrrrr

beezermacc

« Reply #5 on: 13.01. 2012 22:45 »
It would be interesting to see a picture of what you have so we can see why they won't fit.

Offline tenko

• Moving Up
« Reply #6 on: 14.01. 2012 21:10 »
These were on the bike attached  to the frame.

These were some i bought from evilbay in the hope that they might fit

These will fit if i grind a small section off by the bolt squeeze,just slightlty too large to fit inside frame bar.
I have orderd some correct ones from draganfly.

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 14.01. 2012 22:00 »
Tenko,
                    You neeed to start from scratch and get all of the parts.
it appears that you don't have the splined tubes which dowel onto the gearbox plates.
Also, the swing arm spindle has been butchered. The plate has been cut away and no longer is able to be anchored to the frame gusset via the small tapped hole.
                                         Trev.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #8 on: 15.01. 2012 01:27 »
 I can see why Tenko is confused. The pegs don't attach to the swing arm gusset but the gearbox plate. See where the plate is bolted to the frame there are two holes that locate the splined tubes.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 15.01. 2012 03:49 »
Ya gotta ask, "Why did they do that?" with the spindle plate. Maybe when it was originally put in it was so tight in the silent-blocs that the P.O. (?) couldn't turn it to align the holes and, certainly, couldn't remove it, so just cut it off to clear the primary cover.

Maybe someone here can identify those errant pegs you have so that you can put them back on eBay with the correct description. When buying all the correct parts, in addition to the correct pegs and the splined tubes (Trevor mentions), don't forget to buy the long stud that goes through the engine plates, plus the nuts that go on it. At least the stud can be easily bought.

As for replacing the swing-arm spindle, maybe that can wait until you want to do a full strip-down and rebuild, because I can see it becoming a real can of worms.

Richard L.

Offline tenko

• Moving Up
« Reply #10 on: 15.01. 2012 08:28 »
I have the correct parts minus the footrests. I mistakenly thought the footpegs i had would fit the splined tubes,but they are so badly worn and misshaped they wont even go over the splines,so i thought  would take a chance in the ebay ones. They actually fit over the splines and would work i would have to shave some metal to make them fit with the tubes and stud.   I do have the correct plates attached to the gear box,took some time to work that little gem out,Thanks kiwipom  for the piccie.
Now i am a little confused.  Whats wrong with the swingarm spindle? Its the bar that the rear brake is attached to or am i missing something.

This stud bar and spacer tubes with evilbay pegs

right side spacertube and right peg snug but would fit

left side spacertube and left peg needs grinding to fit snugly onto spline and miss frame bar

beezermacc

« Reply #11 on: 15.01. 2012 09:04 »
The picture on reply #6 indicates a problem with the spindle. Have a look at the parts picture supplied later. The spindle should have an 'ear lobe' on the left side with a small bolt through it to stop it rotating. The bolt screws into the hole on the frame gusset just below the spindle. On the right hand side there should be a large nut effectively clamping the two frame gussets and swinging arm spindle together. It is important that everything is tight or the silentbloc swinging arm bushes won't work properly and will be grinding grooves on the inside of your frame gussets.

Offline tenko

• Moving Up
« Reply #12 on: 15.01. 2012 10:44 »
I see what you mean. I think i would get better braking with that clamped as well. Think i have aquired a proper bitsa. Oh well you can only learn.   Another thing to add to list.
Cheers.   Any chance of a piccie to see what it should look like on the bike.

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 15.01. 2012 16:54 »
Hi Tenko,
The footrests you got have (I think) been modified    *eek*
They should not have a slot or clamping arrangement which is why they are fouling the frame
Another issue is to find the correct footrests for 58 (again not 100% sure when they changed)
Did this happen when the wheels changed??
the footrests are not mirror images of each other  ????
The left one comes up and over the mounting hole while the right is more or less like the one you have (without the mods)
Beezermacs photos shoew the diffferent set ups
the paired up and over type were the last change for the A10's
I found it very difficult to find a right hand one for my 63 *sad2*

HTH
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #14 on: 15.01. 2012 19:32 »
hi guys/Tenko, just a couple of pics of the crossover shaft tube,cheers, Bob
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand