Author Topic: Engine/gearbox mounting plates  (Read 1235 times)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Engine/gearbox mounting plates
« on: 07.06. 2008 03:29 »
This post originally asked which side gets the bent engine mounting plates on a swing-arm frame. Embarrassingly, I lost track of how the mounting plates go together. I have since found a picture that shows this, a picture sorely missing from any of six books I have (Haynes, for example) and from my own earlier photos. Perhaps posting the picture will help someone else, or myself, when next I must rebuild (oh, please let that be a long time!).

Richard
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020 (if it's not cancelled and we are free to move about by then). Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Rob_Roy

Re: Engine/gearbox mounting plates
« Reply #1 on: 10.07. 2008 20:32 »
i get your point with regards to Haynes manual.  Every question I have on the bike seems to be glossed over on the manual.
Rear brake brake light switch mounting, design, operation just for one!

Thanks for the photo

G/F DAVE

« Reply #2 on: 10.07. 2008 23:20 »
Hi, Rob best place for a haynes manual is in the bin (unless you need basic settings). You need to source BSA service sheets / Pitmans manuals. I recently found a manual  by D W MUNRO 1955 2ND edition 1960  titled bsa twin motorcycles which covers all models from 1946-1959. This manual covers everything  for BSA twins very informative & includes things like part numbers for gaskets for induction bias /colour schemes for different years etc etc. best regards G/F DAVE

Offline a10gf

• Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Re: Engine/gearbox mounting plates (Munro book)
« Reply #3 on: 11.07. 2008 17:11 »
Nice book, one on ebay uk right now. Looks like the 1st edition 1955, which mainly covers the early models and plungers.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BSA-Twin-Motor-Cycles-from-1946-Practical-Guide_W0QQitemZ260260327415QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260260327415

A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 11.07. 2008 18:58 »
Gents,

I am in no position to debate with Dave on issues "A10", as he (and others, of course) have provided me with much useful advice. Thank you for that. Flawed as it is, I have found the Haynes manual to be useful, in this, my second engine rebuild. However, now I always check with my other two books (Chilton Publishing and Roy Bacon) for additional information and/or confirmation. If one wanted, one could possibly blame the need for my current rebuild on the Haynes manual, having underemphasized the importance of sludge-trap cleanout and taking advantage of an A10 (can I say?) "virgin".  (I've decided to clarify that last statement. I meant, myself as a first-time A10 engine builder, not three other interpretations that I now think of.)

Richard
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020 (if it's not cancelled and we are free to move about by then). Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.