Author Topic: Speedo & rear drive w/nothing in between  (Read 656 times)

Offline Housewiz

• A's Good Friend
Speedo & rear drive w/nothing in between
« on: 30.11. 2012 00:11 »
I have an A65 nacelle and A65 QD rear wheel that includes a speedo drive gear - mounted on a '58 SR.  Most of the cables are missing on this bike eliminating any tactile reference for what the cable and all it's fittings and parts should look like, how everything fits together, and what the overall length should be - while installed on an entirely different bike ('58 SR).

I would be interested in looking at any web links or close-up photos of the mentioned A65 parts any Forum member has.  I ordered an A65 parts manual however I have no idea what year bike the nacelle nor the rear wheel came on.

I do have photos to share.

Thanks guys,

Steve

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Speedo & rear drive w/nothing in between
« Reply #1 on: 30.11. 2012 11:19 »

Steve, If you just bang up the the pictures, I'm sure you'll have help, cheers duTch
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 30.11. 2012 12:06 »
Isn't the speedo driven from the gearbox on your bike?
Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)

Offline Housewiz

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 30.11. 2012 14:26 »
The photos were posted in another thread/subject.  I tried searching for the original Forum post that has the photos but no avail.  I will take more photos today.

I don't know how the A65 speedo actually hooks up other than the rear A65 wheel has the driven gear housing.  That is the reason for this post - how to piece together an A65 nacelle speedo and an A65 rear wheel speedo housing on a '58 SR.

Honestly, the speedo sitting in the nacelle may have been dropped in just to make the bike more complete to sell it - it may not be the correct speedo. 

Thanks guys,

Steve

Offline NottsIan

• Active
« Reply #4 on: 30.11. 2012 17:29 »
Sounds like you have a choice.
Either fit a cable from the rear wheel gearbox to the speedo or fit a cable from the gearbox to the speedo. Whichever you choose, it's straightforward to measure the length needed. You'll probably find that the turns per mile of the rear wheel option is different from the gearbox option. Do you have access to any speedo cable? If you do, you can fit it into the rear wheel gearbox and count the revolutions as you rotate the rear wheel - you'll probably find a ratio of 2:1 or 5:4. Repeat the process with the cable in the gearbox. Check on the Avon website for the turns per mile of your size of rear tyre and multiply this by the two ratios you've counted. If you're lucky your speedo will have it's turns per mile marked on the face and it will be close enough to one of the ones above and your choice will be easy.

Ballpark figures:
19" rear tyre 800 turns per mile
Magnetic speedo 1000 or 1600 turns per mile
Chronometric speedo 1000 to 1600 turns per mile

Hope I haven't confused you.

Ian.
1958 Golden Flash & Watsonian Monosport
1961 Velocette Viper
1959 Triumph 21