Author Topic: Wheel Offset  (Read 5935 times)

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Wheel Offset
« Reply #15 on: 18.10. 2012 14:10 »

Hey guys, didn't intend to cause confusion, I'm totally on your side, as I said, it didn't make sense to me either- maybe a slight front wheel offset might counteract road camber or something, but I don't really want to go there *rant*-

Makes total sense to me to have the front wheel central, and as Bill said(You're quite welcome to butt in Bill), I just posted that(from Gary) to see if I'd misread it and attract opinions.

Sorry Jules, I really can't say what is 'correct', but reckon go with your intuition.
As I said, and if my maths is ok, I made my rear wheel (plunger QD WM3- 80mm wide) so the centre of rim is about 5mm to left of hub centre, if it were a WM2(70mm wide), the rim would be in line with the edge of hub on drive/left/spline side(I think?). I was using a S/A wheel until I found the truth, but I think it's about the same, 'cept it's a bit out of shape!
    But as with lots of things, I feel that is an arbitrary guideline requiring 'fine tuning' to satisfaction

Good luck, duTch
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Jules

• Valued Contributor
  • 1956 A10 s/arm Golden Flash
« Reply #16 on: 22.10. 2012 10:06 »
Thanks Dutch/Bill, I guess Bill's comment makes more sense actually because I couldn't see how you could run with the front wheel offset to the steering head/forks either. Its very pertinent for me right now because I'm at the rebuild stage of the front end and the front wheel is currently offset to the right by about 10mm and I am about to take corrective action! cheers

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 22.10. 2012 10:49 »
A little at a time Jules as it doesn't take much, 1/4 turn per spoke per side and check. 10mm you'll probably be there on second time around
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Jules

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #18 on: 23.10. 2012 10:12 »
thanks Bill, never tried this before so a bit anxious I might stuff it up actually! I remember trying to straighten my old pushbike wheel as lad and really messed it up, worse after than before!  *sad2*
Is there a technique to follow to avoid flats/ovality etc? I assume that you are suggesting 1/4 turn ON on one side and 1/4 turn OFF on the other ie alternate spokes?? cheers

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 23.10. 2012 10:37 »
Yes but I would go  1/4 turn off first
Assuming the wheel is pretty true to start with you won't go far wrong, if there is any ovality then the same procedure applied across the wheel.

Also I find it helpful to wind a bit of tape onto the spoke I start on, I can count up to forty just fine but not while I'm doing something else at the same time *smiley4*
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Jules

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #20 on: 23.10. 2012 10:39 »
thanks Bill, I'll give a go..........

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 23.10. 2012 18:59 »

Hi Jules, sorry if I confused you, was trying to keep it simple too *conf*
 After lacing my wheels, then took them to the wheel guys to true with 'offset estimate', then  I did fairly much as Bill said (off one side first, then on the other) , but I started at the valve hole, and also marked reference points on the nipples(do it as you go? red for right, green for left-Guzzi timing colours, not political !), as it's really easy to mix it up ('specially with my 2-1/2 second attention span *eek*),......
 You'll be right, if I c'n do it.... ;)
 cheers

Actually Bill I think we only need to count to twenty, but was it this twenty, < or ? > that twenty....? (think I never wrote 'twenty' before- looks weird ?)
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 23.10. 2012 20:06 »
but I started at the valve hole

Jeez - I've laced all the wheels on my two bikes and never thought of the valve hole as a marker, how dumb is that, some times I just can't see the wood for the trees
All the best - Bill

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 24.10. 2012 15:17 »

*whistle*
Australia

Offline Motoanimal

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #24 on: 24.10. 2012 15:31 »
Guys,

Sorry, I'd like to butt in too please  *smile*

I was very interested to read your discussion as I have a 1956 swinging arm A10 with cast iron hubs and like a complete plank, I just cut all the spokes assuming that new rims could be built with the hubs central. I should have taken some measurements first!

Now I may be using the wrong method, but I would swear that the hub is central in the swinging arm and the swinging arm is central in the frame after assembling to check. So is it only the plunger which has the offset?

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the
glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big
as it needs to be.

Offline Housewiz

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #25 on: 29.11. 2012 23:56 »
I found directions and video for a pretty sturdy and less than $20 truing stand during a Google search made from PVC piping that used a zip tie to measure distance to the side of the rim.  If spoked wheels are in our lives, it's a very handy shop tool.

In my bicycle mechanic days, I would put the whole bike in a cradle/bottom bracket stand and use the rubber brake shoes to help me quickly straighten just about any wobbly rim.  In an A10 rim case the zip tie makes a simple bicycle brake shoe.  I would loosen two spokes, depending on the severity of the out-of-trueness, 1/4 - 1/2 turn on the side that hit the rubber shoe then jump over the spoke between the loosened two, and tighten the middle spoke a turn or more to pull the rim back in alignment.  Did that quickly all around the circumference 3 times then made a last check for any loose spokes and repeat the process until all were snug.  Less than 5 min for most rims - certainly more for A10 rims.

We had shop tools to wrestle (ie. pull or push) rims back into round.  A truing stand is a great friend during all these maneuvers.

Not much help for the main heading of this post but hopefully helpful info when doing the final touches after the off-set and lacing are complete.

Thanks,

Steve

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #26 on: 30.11. 2012 11:34 »

Gee-wiz Wizza, I wish you hadn't brought that up, last night heading up the road for a feed on the treadly, had to slow up for a down-hill left hander and the savage front brake took hold, and over the top I went-bugga, second time in three weeks!
 Good thing I have a hard head, or no brains-....kick!!
Australia