Author Topic: Oil leak from speedo cable  (Read 5123 times)

Offline BSARoadRocket

• Moving Up
Re: Oil leak from speedo cable
« Reply #15 on: 12.01. 2012 07:24 »
I have had lots of problems with leaking speedo and late super rocket style oil pump drive tachometer cables. 
What I discovered was that the oil was leaking out from between the sheath and the aluminum fitting that is crimped over the end of the sheath so no amount of tightening and adding sealant or replacing O-rings will solve the problem.  My cure was simply to carefully cut through the crimp on the aluminum fitting so I could slide it off of the cable sheath.  I then removed all of the old fabric type covering on the outside of the original sheath.  Finally I cut a piece of rubber tubing the length of the sheath and slid the entire sheath in the length of tubing.  I then replaced the crimped fitting which now fits over the old sheath and inside of the rubber tubing and put a hose clamp on each end of the rubber tubing.  Oil leak eliminated.  I have also had new replacement cables where the oil leaks out between the crimped on aluminum fitting and the new plastic coated cable sheath. 

Lastly, the BSA A65 tachometer cable rotates in the opposite direction of an A10 oil pump drive tach.  I believe the A65 cable will fit on the A1O but the sheath and or the cable may be  wound in the opposite direction.  If you put the A65 cable on an A10 the cable and or sheath could essentially use screw action to pull oil out of the motor and fill your tachometer with oil.  I personally have not had this experience but I talked to a fellow A10 rider whose tachometer kept filling with oil and the cable being wound in the wrong direction was the only cause we could think of that made any sense.   A theory to debate I suppose.
'47A7, '50GF, '53SF,  '55RR, '57GF, '58A7daily rider '60GSCatalina
'39T100, '506T '56TR6, '62TR6SS '49NortonDominator,
'73HD sportster.  Most are works in progress with much progress yet to be made!

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #16 on: 12.01. 2012 17:25 »
I have refitted the end fitting onto the cable using a Loctite sealant (black, can't remember the number) in an attempt to block the oil path

An update on this method - no oil seepage yet.

Reading BSARoadRocket's post it reminded me that after I had sealed the end fittings with the sealant that while the end fittings were off I could have slid on short lengths of heat shrink sleeving and shrunk it over the junction of the fittings with the cable outer. It's a plastic so would have survived contact with any oil.
I'll keep that in mind for the future if I stumble over this problem again.
Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #17 on: 12.01. 2012 17:33 »

Lastly, the BSA A65 tachometer cable rotates in the opposite direction of an A10 oil pump drive tach.  I believe the A65 cable will fit on the A1O but the sheath and or the cable may be  wound in the opposite direction.  If you put the A65 cable on an A10 the cable and or sheath could essentially use screw action to pull oil out of the motor and fill your tachometer with oil.  I personally have not had this experience but I talked to a fellow A10 rider whose tachometer kept filling with oil and the cable being wound in the wrong direction was the only cause we could think of that made any sense.   A theory to debate I suppose.

While mine was apart I looked at the hand of the inner wire's spiral relative to the rotation and yes it could conceivably wind oil up the cable which I have had in the past with a cut in the outer. I think that the wire was RH spiral and the drive from the gearbox is anti-clockwise, if my memory is OK.
Has anyone spoken to a supplier to discuss the possibility of getting the hand correct for our babies?
Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.