Author Topic: Which sealant on crank case?  (Read 1319 times)

Offline roadrocket

• A's Good Friend
  • www.roadrocket.dk
Which sealant on crank case?
« on: 23.01. 2012 18:48 »
Hello Folks!

I am soon to going to assemble my engine, and will probably have lots of questions in this regard. For now I just want to ask the community which sealant/goo to use when joining the crank case halves? The shop that did the work previously had used some kind of black silicone. Maybe I should just go ahead with that?

Cheers!

Otto in Denmark
Otto in Denmark

Offline andy

• A's Good Friend
  • and so the fun begins !!
Re: Which sealant on crank case?
« Reply #1 on: 23.01. 2012 21:34 »
i`ve rebuilt a couple of kawasaki engines and bought some of there sealent that sounds like the stuff that was used on your engine think honda do there own in black and silver i bought kawabond not cheep about £30 a tube but done two engines have used librally and still loads left oh an it works a treat it sets a bit rubbery. hope this was of use to ya.
only 2 things needed in life wd40 and duck tape....if it moves and shouldn`t use tape if it don`t move and should use wd40.

Offline chaz

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 23.01. 2012 21:52 »
on the shelf I have the pick of Wellseal, Hermatite Blue or loctite joint seal. Tempted to get the stuff the local engine rebuilder uses. Kawabond is available from any main dealer the big four all use the same but its branded different. as Andy said its around £30 for a large tube but lasts and is good.
allways willing to learn
United Kingdom

Offline roadrocket

• A's Good Friend
  • www.roadrocket.dk
« Reply #3 on: 24.01. 2012 16:09 »
Thanks guys!

I'll search for a tube of the stuff.

Regards, Otto in Denmark
Otto in Denmark

Online olev

• Brisbane, Australia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 25.01. 2012 11:17 »
I think kawabond and yamabond are the same as three bond.
My favourite is threebond 1104 which is silver/grey.
There is some threebond white as well which seems popular with 'people in the know'.
I've only used threebond 1104. Its the best goo I've ever used so why change.
Its not cheap, but what price do you put on an oil tight engine first time up?
cheers

Offline andy

• A's Good Friend
  • and so the fun begins !!
« Reply #5 on: 25.01. 2012 13:53 »
by the sounds of it, it`s all the same stuff but differnt name on the tube !!!! *dunno*
only 2 things needed in life wd40 and duck tape....if it moves and shouldn`t use tape if it don`t move and should use wd40.

Offline 1660bob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 27.01. 2012 19:34 »
I have just done a major job on my Audi diesel which involved sump and crank seal housing off.I used the genuine VAG sealer which is dear at best part of £20 for a toothpaste sized tube, but there was plenty in that for a 2.0l sump and seal carrier, i applied it sparingly- a 2-3mm bead all round and not a sign of a leak 2000 miles later so it must be good stuff.Its the same as VW Audi use in the factory,- and the last thing they want is warranty claims for oil leaks so it stands to reason that its good gear! I intend to use it all eventually on my bike cases as needed, there`s plenty left.Bob.