Author Topic: What about Sidecar?  (Read 490 times)

Offline renos-a10

• A's Best Friend
What about Sidecar?
« on: 01.02. 2012 08:45 »
G'day to all

I come back again because the last trip we have here in Cyprus with Larnaca Club i saw 4 bikes with sidecar.
One BSA A10 plunger , one Triumph 500cc and 2 bikes Royal Enfield.
So i have A10 swing arm and think to buy one.

What your opinion about Sidecar?

Thanks
Renos
1954 BSA A10 Plunger
Cyprus

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
Re: What about Sidecar?
« Reply #1 on: 01.02. 2012 12:04 »
Hi Renos,

Sidecars are really good fun but you have to learn how to handle them first.  You don't ride a sidecar combination.....you drive one.

Be very careful the first time you try one especially on the corners.  In Cyprus you drive on the left side of the road so if the sidecar is on the left side of the bike you should take a left hand bend with a bit of power on and normal power for a right hand bend.  If you have a lightweight sidecar and take a left bend with no power on the sidecar wheel can come up in the air and that can be scary.

I'm sure your friends in the Larnaca Club will help you.

Have fun.

Beezageezauk.

Offline renos-a10

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #2 on: 01.02. 2012 15:03 »
Look i like to drive solo but .... i don't know .... something happen with sidecar.
It's not only the look .
1954 BSA A10 Plunger
Cyprus

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #3 on: 01.02. 2012 16:44 »
Hi Renos, Hi agree with beezageezauk, combos are great fun but has he says you have to be careful until you've mastered the way to deal ride 'em . The first time I had an outfit on the road was so memoable that I recall the ride 46 yrs later... My first ride as a 16 yr old to the MOT station ,ride there without incident just getting thefeel but on the way back ,with pass cert and feeling like a dog with 2 whatnots I changed route and incorpoated 2 left handers . First was a dead stop so no problem next was 250 yds down road and was a tight turn into ,thankfully a large private carpark . I arrived at the junction having revved her hard in 3rd for the first time and full of youthful confidence just turned in , before you would believe poss I was looking UPWARDS at the chair and fortunately just had the sense to straighten out and also had enough room to clear the gate and after 20yds had all 3 wheels back where they should be . parked the bike wnet home shaking looking for a new pair of jeans .I honestly am not relying this to put you off just working on the principle of forwarned ,forarmed. Outfits are great  great fun and I will never have a bad word said against them just get to know them and how to deal with them . Just to finish very shortly after the above and after taking her round the carpark within a very short time i could feel the moment when the wheel was getting light and could either, as Beezageezauk said, power into it to keep it down or really showing off just keep the wheel off the ground by feel and throttle . Also having had both plunger and swinging arm outfits i prefer the plunger more they are more"planted "than the s/arm one and i also had a s/arm kick up on a righthander which had never happened on my older bike . best wishes BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom