Author Topic: wassell regulator  (Read 10776 times)

Offline rocket111

• Moving Up
wassell regulator
« on: 13.02. 2012 20:06 »
is any one familiar with the fitment of the wassell voltage regulator my dealer recommended it but the included wiring diagram makes little sense the original fitment had f(green ) to f on the dynamo d (yellow)to d ,e (black ) to frame and a(brown /white) to ammeter

the wassel is similar but they show yellow to d , green  to f ,black to frame, and the fourth connection (red) to e field coil of the dynamo now im sure mine is the same as everyone elses and there are only 2 connections on the dynamo?

Offline 0116harley

• Moving Up
Re: wassell regulator
« Reply #1 on: 13.02. 2012 20:37 »
HI fitted one of these last year. Instructions are a bit misleading. As far as i can remember,green an yellow to dynamo. Mine was wired for positive earth,i think i wired red to earth an black to ammeter. Can double check this for you if your stuck
cheers Neil

beezermacc

« Reply #2 on: 13.02. 2012 23:13 »
There was a similar post on the AJS site acouple of weeks ago....

Assuming +ve earth

black to battery -ve (via ammeter if fitted)
red to earth and battery +ve
green to 'F' on dynamo
yellow to 'D' on dynamo.

make sure your battery has good earth

Offline Dynamo Regulators Mike

• A's Good Friend
  • Fareham, UK, 1960 A10
    • Dynamo Regulators Ltd
« Reply #3 on: 14.02. 2012 10:29 »
Hi all
It would be interesting to hear how Wassell dynamo regulator users get on with them.
I have purchased 2 units recently, one 6 one 12 V. Did not see a decent output from either using the standard E3L on my test rig. Output rose with revs but never anywhere near the correct charging voltage (7.2 or 14.4 ish) even at max revs.
My conclusion based on this limited sample (and from the ready no questions asked exchange and then refund offered by the suppliers) was that they are truly a cheap & nasty product (Taiwan made - nothing wrong with that in itself of course - with poor technical information to boot). Other reports I hear (from customers and others in the trade) add to the poor quality impression.
Best not make a purchase decision based on price alone?
Cheers
Mike
Mike Hutchings
A10, T800
Director, DRL www.dynamoregulators.com

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #4 on: 15.02. 2012 15:58 »
After several bad experiences, from a choke lever that actually broke off, to handlebars that were bent wrong, to a fibre mag wheel that was 3/16 of an inch too narrow, I avoid anything from that particular "Brand". Their products are the epitome of poor tat made down to a price not to a reasonable spec.

Buy a DRV2.
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #5 on: 15.02. 2012 19:08 »
 I agree 100% Andy. Nothing of that brand has ever worked for me. Avoid it like the plague.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline 0116harley

• Moving Up
« Reply #6 on: 15.02. 2012 21:11 »
Hi all, ran the bike with one of these units last year. So far has not givin me a problem.
Maybe ive just fell lucky an got a good one (time will tell)
cheers Neil.

Offline rocket111

• Moving Up
« Reply #7 on: 17.02. 2012 13:30 »
and i bought it cos my dealer recomended it as being "a good bit of kit" *sad2*

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 17.02. 2012 14:02 »
Well,  at least I can say that my Wassell fork boots are still functioning properly.  However,  if my charging system should suddenly fail,  you can be sure they will be the first to be blamed and not my trusty DVR2.

Richard L.

Offline Dynamo Regulators Mike

• A's Good Friend
  • Fareham, UK, 1960 A10
    • Dynamo Regulators Ltd
« Reply #9 on: 17.02. 2012 17:31 »
Interesting range of comments. Performance and reliability are both key apects of quality.
Wassell are of course the sellers of a variety of bought in products form many sources. It is tempting for dealers to sell the produts with the largest margins, but not good practice or the way to best profits and a good night's sleep.
Thanks to all here for the support of the DVR2
Mike Hutchings
A10, T800
Director, DRL www.dynamoregulators.com

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 17.02. 2012 18:43 »
I'm not sure what regulator I have, it's the V-Reg sold by Paul Goff, which one is it or is it a different model again.
Anyway it works just fine
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online bikerjohndavies

• John Davies, Bath, UK
  • Valued Contributor
  • 1953 BSA A10 Super Flash
« Reply #11 on: 11.09. 2012 07:56 »
Has anybody fitted one of these Wassel electronic regulators to a negative earth system ? I have just bought a negative earth 6v one for my 49 A7 and when I read the instructions it tells you to change the wireing in the dynamo. I was told it should just fit but seems to be not the case. I have looked at the instructions for the posative earth version and it does not mention changing the dynamo wireing.
1931 Ariel VB31, 1935 Triumph 5/3 project, 1946 Ariel Square 4, 1952 Norton Model 7, 1953 BSA A10 Super Flash, 1954 Ariel VH

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 11.09. 2012 09:27 »
I'm going to stick my neck out and say that I can't see how it can be called a 'Negative Earth', as doesn't it just depend how it's wired. as per Johns' request??
   Being barely adept at electrical generation, I'll consider this a test of my 'Knowledge is dangerous'..?

But serious,(well, more serious), and this is where I may be wronger, if you just switch either the brush wires, OR the field wires, should reverse the polarity(then join D+F to 'polarise' it)..?

How'm I doin'???
  Trev'll sort you (and me)out if I didn't, but does it really matter if it's Positive or Negative earth??

Cheers, duTch.. I'm off to the sideline (or the sinbin)

Afterthought..... watch out for those pattern copy regs, the cover may not be high enough, and short out the Reg bobbin to the Cut-out bobbin , to 'D' , maybe to earth for good/bad measure....!  Mine would have but I looked at it first.
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline warmshed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #13 on: 11.09. 2012 18:12 »
Dutch, I think you will find that all  dynamo electronic regulators are always polarity sensitive. You must fit the right one you cant change the wiring on them to change the polarity. You can reverse the polarity on mechanical regulators and electronic Alternator regulators.  Dave.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 12.09. 2012 04:19 »
Sorry Dave, I just naturally assumed Mechaniacal, I'll go back to my comfy Sinbin *conf*
 cheers
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia