Author Topic: Dual tappet block/guide missing  (Read 1696 times)

Offline dthompson1941

• Active
Dual tappet block/guide missing
« on: 14.02. 2012 20:31 »
As you probably all know (and I am learning), the ?49 A7 longstroke has the  tappet guide blocks located in the crankcase; the exhaust tappets are located in a dual tappet block centered between the two  inlet tappet blocks. The single inlet blocks are removed with difficulty, but the centre dual block drops out when the case is split. Well, my project A7 longstroke  had the case split before I picked it up and this dual tappet block, along with the exhaust tappets, is missing.
I?m waiting for my ?49 A7 Parts List to come in the post, since it is specific to that year, so I will be able to  correctly identify the tappets/block. The dual block (according to Draganfly, the part is listed as 67-1024F ?tappet?) is available from them on exchange only; since I don?t have the original block the price of 14+ GBP jumps up by an extra 20 GBP since they are in limited supply. In the meantime, I?ve tried to locate the dual block and tappets elsewhere, but with no luck (much of the time is spent convincing parts rep that  I really know what I need, and that it is different from later models!) I would appreciate any advice you can provide, alternatively to just coughing up the extra 20 pounds.

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
Re: Dual tappet block/guide missing
« Reply #1 on: 14.02. 2012 23:39 »
This is the part you need. It is the same for all Longstroke engines from 47' to 50'.

The block is pt. no. 67-1022 and the tappets are 65-2450. All four of the tappets are the same.

Could be a difficult item to find although I have seen them occasionaly. A quick search online has bought up a few but the price seems to be around the $50 - £35 mark.

Offline dthompson1941

• Active
« Reply #2 on: 15.02. 2012 00:33 »
Brian: many thanks! More than I had hoped for; the picture along with the correct part numbers are a great help. I'll forge ahead with a bit more confidence now. Dale T.

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #3 on: 15.02. 2012 03:11 »
Dale you will also need the tappet block fixing plate if you dont have it, pt. no. 67-1023. Unfortunately I dont have one to photograph but its a steel plate with a hole in each end and it bolts to the crankcase and holds the tappet blocks in.

Here's a scan out of the parts book, it will give you a bit of an idea what it looks like.

Offline bikerjohndavies

• John Davies, Bath, UK
  • Valued Contributor
  • 1953 BSA A10 Super Flash
« Reply #4 on: 15.02. 2012 09:23 »
Hi Dale, Where are you, your profile does not say. I have a spare tappet block and plate, the block just needs a bit of a cleanup. The part number you list from Draganfly 67-1024F is for the cam follower (tappets) in exchange and that is each. There is a EBay seller here in the UK who is selling a new old stock set of cam followers. I have had a couple of sets off them and they are good.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BSA-A7-MK-1-CAMFOLLOWERS-GENUINE-/220952006490
1931 Ariel VB31, 1935 Triumph 5/3 project, 1946 Ariel Square 4, 1952 Norton Model 7, 1953 BSA A10 Super Flash, 1954 Ariel VH

Offline dthompson1941

• Active
« Reply #5 on: 15.02. 2012 18:59 »
Brian: thanks for the picture; nice to see it at last. I do still have the fixing plate; it was bolted to the case and so it didn't turn up missing. Appreciate the help!

Offline dthompson1941

• Active
« Reply #6 on: 15.02. 2012 19:16 »
John Davies: Very interested in the spare tappet block you have (I have the fixing plate). Are you willing to part with it, and if so, what would be a fair price for it? Btw, I updated my profile: I'm in Odessa, Florida USA (right outside of Tampa Florida). If you are interested in letting go of the block, how would I arrange payment, shipping, etc.? (If you need to contact me by email, I'm dalethomp@verizon.net.) I look forward to your reply. Again thanks SO much for the continued help. Dale Thompson

Offline dthompson1941

• Active
« Reply #7 on: 19.02. 2012 22:24 »
I need to pull the two inlet tappet blocks from the crankcase of the '49 longstroke; in looking at the BSA tool for their removal, it could be a socket like-tool that threads them out (which I could make myself?); on the other hand, some of my reading leaves the impression that they could be press-fit, requiring a puller. Thought it might be a good idea to lean on your experience before I start twistin' and/or pullin'. Thanks in advance for your input.