Author Topic: Valanced mudguards for 1960 Super Rocket  (Read 6448 times)

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Valanced mudguards for 1960 Super Rocket
« Reply #15 on: 11.08. 2012 22:26 »
If the rearward hole is on both sides, they are for the seat grab rail, usually on U.S. models.
Seat brackets are two right angle straps.
Trev.

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #16 on: 11.08. 2012 22:34 »
If the rearward hole is on both sides, they are for the seat grab rail, usually on U.S. models.
Seat brackets are two right angle straps.
Trev.

That computes... I believe the guard came in from the states.
I'll persevere with it, doesnt appear to be totally wrong, although is a bit bent at the back.
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 11.08. 2012 22:39 »
RR,
           A lot of the states bikes have a shortened rear guard below the tail light.
Trev.

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 11.08. 2012 23:03 »
RR,
           A lot of the states bikes have a shortened rear guard below the tail light.
Trev.

Some also seem to taper in the side valances too, in a similar way to the way the post '59 front guards taper at the front. The picture of a new SR in the "Adventures and Old Pics" thread under bikes,pictures and members appears to show a tapered and shortened rear guard

http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php/topic,5975.0.html
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 12.08. 2012 01:52 »
my mudguard does taper *doh*
New Zealand

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 12.08. 2012 12:27 »
RR, the first picture « Reply #12 on: 10.08. 2012 08:59 » , looks half decent, but the last one ,reply#20 has gone to crap, like it's too long/sits to high or needs to roll to the front a bit ?? -Same guard??
cheeers ,duTch
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 13.08. 2012 02:10 »
RR, the first picture « Reply #12 on: 10.08. 2012 08:59 » , looks half decent, but the last one ,reply#20 has gone to crap, like it's too long/sits to high or needs to roll to the front a bit ?? -Same guard??
cheeers ,duTch
This guard didnt leave the factory on this bike and year of is unknown, its also a bit twisted at the back below the taillight unit, but it does have the original two sets of holes for the clamps that attach to the frame so doesnt appear to be able to be rolled forward or dropped. *dunno*

The height of does bother me but it appears to tie up with the rear stays and seat hole spacing.
Yes its the same guard.  At present the only fore and aft tinwear I'm wedded to are the rear arrowhead stays.
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 14.08. 2012 05:33 »
My replica front guard arrived late yesterday from India, took a proper look this afternoon and put on a coat of PA10, did have a thin coat of grey primer.
In general I'd have to say disappointing, the rolling hasnt been finished that well although a good skim coat will hide, however the edging particularly the back half doesnt appear to be particularly well curved and is uneven.
Not sure how genuine mudguard stay tags are attached but these also didnt exude quality.

What with my rear guard fit and this front, the jury is still out on what tinwear I will fit front and rear *sad2*
New Zealand

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #23 on: 14.08. 2012 10:59 »
That does look a bit rough.
Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #24 on: 15.09. 2012 02:33 »
I've finally identified my rear guard as previously pictured as a circa '58 type, so height incorrect as the pre 59/60 ones didnt have the arrowhead rear stays.

Having reviewed the indian ebay front guard I bought and comparing to a mates 60 flash, came to the conclusion the guard is a piece of junk and would never be good enough for anything other than a hack.

However on the plus side have bought a tatty rear guard that is correct and needs a lot of work as well as an american market option non valanced chrome front guard that is still in the original wrapping. These were also fitted to the '64 a65 rocket. Just has rear stays so will suit the original sliders and look nice with a rabbit ear & gaiter/twin clock front end. So finally moving forwards
New Zealand