Author Topic: Broken Stud?  (Read 2589 times)

Offline Pilgrim

• North Kent. U.K.
  • A's Good Friend
Re: Broken Stud?
« Reply #15 on: 28.02. 2012 16:15 »
Hiya,
I've got a feeling that a previous owner has had to make his own stud up,
and hacksawed the end off too short. That might explain the rough looking end.
 www.draganfly.co.uk Search 67-352. That's what it should look like.
Cheers. *smile*
Regards, Geoff.
1962 R.G.S.
1963 R.G.S.
2004 Bonnie. T100.

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #16 on: 28.02. 2012 18:33 »
Brian yes there is a nut in your red circle.

Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #17 on: 28.02. 2012 18:43 »
Barely able to contain my excitement, I wandered into the bar (sorry, barn) to scrape away a winter's and more's worth of cowdung and muck and see what I have got on mine. Being the only bike in my private world which hasn't had its bowels opened in years, I didn't know  . . . but the pix here looked sort of wrong to me.
Lo, after a nervous moment looking for any sort of hexagon, be it head of a bolt or a humble nut  . . . there was nothing on the drive side. So the hole's a dreaded threaded thing, with the thing within pretty much flush with the case. Nothing broken. Odd, I thought.
Sigh  . .
So round to the timing side, scrape away the matching winter crud (we don't want a cowdung imbalance on these slippery country roads where fine handling matters  . .) and what is there?
Answer, a nut, just-past flush with the thread's end, but a nut for all that.
Which made me think. A stud which goes into an open threaded hole? Why? A stud into a blind hole, and a nut on the timing side, fair enough. Or even a blind hole and a set-bolt going in from the timing side, sort of OK - although that would remind me too much of certain bits of my AMC twins which work that way - until the bolts break.
Another of life's imponderables. If I was dictator, it wouldn't be like that. But then nor would a lot of other things. More wine please nurse.
Bill

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #18 on: 28.02. 2012 20:02 »
From a plunger but I'd guess it's relevant, picture shows the system, 2 studs each side with threads in the crankcase. Obviously (or probably) to get the correct alignment when joining the crankcase.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #19 on: 28.02. 2012 20:35 »
My apologies Andy.

The second picture Gary has posted is much clearer and indeed shows the stud is still present as it should be. By the first pic I thought the stud had broken off and there was only a stub protuding.

So everything is as it should be, and I'm off to the optician to get a new set of glasses  *conf*

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
« Reply #20 on: 28.02. 2012 21:03 »
Studs usually screw into a blind hole. What were they thinking?

Offline Black Flash

• Moving Up
  • 1961 Golden Flash
« Reply #21 on: 28.02. 2012 22:33 »
WHOA Guys!!!!! I refuse to be responsible for any more catastophe's. Brian is going blind and getting stuck in a red circle. (is that similar to a black hole?) Groily has ruined a perfectly marvelous coating of preservative on his ride and now has a drinking problem. (not sure if wine can do that but wasn't willing to take a chance by ignoring it). I also removed the little amount that I had going on mine for apparently no good reason. Manosound now thinks male Beeza riders can chime like a coo coo clock when we all know we only grunt and f.rt. You also should throw away the dictionary and stop trying to impress us with big words like optical and pessimistic, whatever that means. And last but certainly not least, wilko has dragged us completely into the gutter!

*smile* *smile* *smile* *smile* *smile* *smile*
Again, Thanks to all of you for the thoughtful and revealing replies. See, I know a couple of big words too!
Gary
Gary
1961 A10 GF
NC

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 28.02. 2012 23:16 »
I'm optimistic that you will soon know the meaning of "pessimistic", but not the meaning of "pedantic".

Offline Black Flash

• Moving Up
  • 1961 Golden Flash
« Reply #23 on: 29.02. 2012 02:45 »
If the bottom has not been opened since '72 after sitting a long time, then working on the top end, there is a fair chance it will need to be opened soon when sludge blocks the journal oil holes.  Sounds pessimistic doesn't it.
Manosound,
I am happy to report that I have not heard any pessimistic sounds yet and hope that the rotating gizmos will continue their
doctrinarian ways. As to your latest admonishment, I did have a mild case of pedanticism (sp?) a while back that the local sophist took way to long to cure. I wish he could have consulted you as you are obviously much more experienced than he. I would like to retract my sophomoric crack about the dictionary as you, again, obviously, don't need one. I yield sir. *smiley4*
Gary
Gary
1961 A10 GF
NC

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #24 on: 29.02. 2012 04:46 »
Oh, I most certainly do have to use a dictionary and admit to sometimes writing in a stiff style, to the point that, at work, I always have to edit my writing to avoid sounding like a wann'a be junior lawyer. As for words and language, they were hard to avoid in my house, since my mother was very big on English literature, like it said on her college degree. I'm no English major, more of a broken stud ;) *smile*.

Anyway, I appreciated your prose and got a laugh.

Have a good day.

Richard L.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #25 on: 29.02. 2012 09:11 »
Studs usually screw into a blind hole. What were they thinking?

Cost cost cost

then also to spark a debate amongst old codgers sixty years down the line *smiley4*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #26 on: 02.03. 2012 01:47 »
Hope this helps...    Studs are highlighted in GREEN ..

'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Offline Black Flash

• Moving Up
  • 1961 Golden Flash
« Reply #27 on: 02.03. 2012 14:49 »
Many thanks Wozza;
Hope you didn't tear down your motor to teach a proby how he could have been a little more observant before
embarassing himself, although I guess I did generate a queston about 60 year old engineering practices?  *smile*
To all; Thank you. Just goes to show again that our group automatically thinks about teaching newcomers rather
than the easy path of criticism or ridicule!!
Gary
Gary
1961 A10 GF
NC