Author Topic: Tappet Installation  (Read 1704 times)

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Tappet Installation
« on: 23.06. 2008 01:50 »
I cannot remeber from the previous build, so can someone remind me as to whether, or not, the center (exhaust) tappets are supposed to dangle down less than the outer (intake) tappets when captive in the cylinder block?

Offline shabashow

• A's Good Friend
Re: Tappet Installation
« Reply #1 on: 23.06. 2008 13:17 »
I don't think it really matters, as the camshaft will put them into the correct positions when fitted. From memory during my rebuild, I remember the middle ones sitting lower than the outer ones. The important bit is that they are free to move up and down in the channel (ant they're fitted the right way up!)
Hope that helps,
John

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 23.06. 2008 15:16 »
John,

Thanks. I agree that as long as they make continuous contact with the cam they will be fine. Assuming your recollection is correct and the middle ones do dangle lower (with the block right-side-up), I have a problem. I am sure that the position will matter if the tappets are not in continuous contact with the cam. I think it is impossible to put an outer one to the inside, considering the relief in the side of the tappet and the flat side of the pin. Again, thanks for your reply but think I must hold out for the "no doubt about it" answer. 

Richard

Offline shabashow

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 23.06. 2008 22:13 »
Hi Richard,
best to get a second opinion, or see how they sit in another barrel before moving on. Someone out in cyberspace will have an engine in a suitable state of dismembership. I've just taken my head off, and can see the top of the tappets moving up and down under the influence of the cams. Gravity seems to make them rest on the cams (at  hand cranked speed)
good luck,
John

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 24.06. 2008 04:27 »
John, et al,

Well, it just goes to show what a little looking will do. The picture, below, is right off of Erling's (our forum administrator's) home page under "Cylinder Rebore". Two things this does for me, first, it shows clearly that the center two tappets (or, followers) dangle down less than the outer two. I don't think the positions in the photo are a coincidence. Good news for me, because I didn't have the patience or common sense to verify this before mounting the barrels. Then I started to worry. (LJ, I am trying to follow your advice to take my time, really, I am.) Second, it shows what a crappy (or non-existent) job my "machinist" did in blasting my barrels. I take it that the beautiful appearance of those in the photo are what they should look like when done right.

Richard 

Offline shabashow

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 24.06. 2008 18:59 »
A picture is worth a thousand words - just shows you not to rely on memory for the little details,
John

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #6 on: 24.06. 2008 20:02 »
Fine that the pic was of help. To praise the praiseworthy, SRM's work. The cam followers looked like worn-out trash, big was my satisfaction upon seeing the result. btw the cam itself did not need any work.

e.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"