Author Topic: Broken Stud?  (Read 2588 times)

Offline Black Flash

• Moving Up
  • 1961 Golden Flash
Broken Stud?
« on: 26.02. 2012 14:25 »
Hi All;
Had a great ride a couple of days ago. 100 miles on a sunny 70 deg day. Passed 1000 miles since having the engine put back together. Found the above when I was getting ready to wash and then change the oil again.

My question is: Can a stud be removed and replaced without splitting the cases? I thought of a couple of possible ways to try like removing the offside nut, (it is still tight), filing a flat on it or drilling and using an easy out? Would the stud be too tight for that? The lower end was split back in 1972 to replace a crank shim and hasn't been touched since then.

The other question would be: Should I be that concerned? Could it be ok to wait? Thanks for any suggestions.
Gary
Gary
1961 A10 GF
NC

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
Re: Broken Stud?
« Reply #1 on: 26.02. 2012 15:02 »
Others will know better but if that is really a stud (as it looks as if it is) then it won't be threaded into the crankcase halves and should just knock through from the LHS.
Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 26.02. 2012 16:29 »
Relax Gary it is a threaded stud and is as it should be. there are four of these (! memory) around the crankcase,
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 26.02. 2012 19:28 »
yes bill is correct as usual it,s one of the studs that,s threaded into the crankcase half.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 27.02. 2012 11:35 »
There we are learnt something else new (to me at least).
Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)

Offline Black Flash

• Moving Up
  • 1961 Golden Flash
« Reply #5 on: 27.02. 2012 16:28 »
Hi All;
I guess I may have mis-directed you with the question mark in the subject line. I actually knew it was a stud. I am interested in knowing if anyone has had this happen to them and if it can be replaced without splitting the cases? I am un-comfortable with leaving it this way as there is no way to know at this point why it broke off. As far as I know it wasn't touched when the upper part of the motor was recently re-assembled. If the general concensus is it will not be a problem, then I would be willing to leave it, but considering it should be many thousands of miles before needing to touch the bottom end again is that smart? I know I will have to be the one to decide but really would like your experienced input. Thanks for any replies, Gary
Gary
1961 A10 GF
NC

Offline Pilgrim

• North Kent. U.K.
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 27.02. 2012 18:20 »
Hiya,
 *conf* I'm still trying to work out the question?
Is it just me?
"If it ain't broke, ya cain't fix it!"
Attached are pics of two of mine.
Stop worrying they're supposed to be like that.
Cheers.
Regards, Geoff.
1962 R.G.S.
1963 R.G.S.
2004 Bonnie. T100.

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 27.02. 2012 19:57 »
Gary,
            I would be inclined to leave well enough alone as I reckon that you would have to strip the engine to satisfactorily repair it.
Keep an eye on it for leaks around there but I wouldn't expect any if the cases are sealed properly.

Trev.

Offline Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #8 on: 27.02. 2012 23:49 »
As has been suggested it will be ok left as it is.

However if you do want to replace it it shouldnt be too hard to remove, they usually unscrew fairly easily.

There are a couple of ways, file flats on either side and see if it will unscrew. Another method is to get a nut that will slip over the protuding part and with an electric welder weld the nut to the end of the stud and then simply unscrew. I have done this several times and it always works well.

If you can get it out all you need then is a 5/16" BSW bolt to replace the original stud. The next time you have the motor apart you can put the correct stud back in.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 28.02. 2012 11:16 »
not sure we are getting the point over that it is not broken.
The end of the stud that you see that looks like it has sheared off is in fact the end of a threaded stud, threaded into the case, any attempt to knock it out or force it to unscrew in situ (without slackening all the other studs and bolts ) could result in stripping the threads in the case.
Best left as BSA intended *smil*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 28.02. 2012 11:31 »
Unfortunately it is broken.

If you look at the pic Gary included with his first post where there is a little stub protuding on the right side (timing side) of the cases, there should be a thread there with a nut on it.

This is a stud that screws into the left crankcase half and protudes out the right side and has a nut on it. It  has to be unscrewed to remove it and it has to come out the right side.

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #11 on: 28.02. 2012 11:57 »
Unless my eyes are deceiving me that is exactly what his last pic shows. There is a nut on the R/H end of that blind stud.

Gary ITS NOT BROKEN ITS SUPPOSED TO BE LIKE THAT.
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 28.02. 2012 12:05 »
I've borrowed your pic Gary.

Andy does the piece in the middle of the red circle look like a nut on a stud ?

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 28.02. 2012 13:02 »
I don't know why Gary hasn't chimed in by this point.  Though there may be some optical reasons for seeing it otherwise,  it must,  indeed, be a nut because Gary asks if he should remove the off-side nut. The stud is not broken.  Gary misinterpreted what was going on on the LHS. If the stud were, in fact,  broken,  Trevor's advice would be what I went with, that is, leave it. If the bottom has not been opened since '72 after sitting a long time, then working on the top end, there is a fair chance it will need to be opened soon when sludge blocks the journal oil holes.  Sounds pessimistic doesn't it.

Richard L.

Offline Black Flash

• Moving Up
  • 1961 Golden Flash
« Reply #14 on: 28.02. 2012 14:44 »
Hi All;
To Manosound: I was in the process of writing this reply when you did yours! I have read the replies with a little smile on. I didn't expect to learn this much about studs when I asked if it was broken. You are right, in my in-experienced opinion it looked like the LHS end of the stud along with a nut had decided to depart the scene. I am now up to speed. It looks like that end of the stud doesn't come up flush to the case as much as others might. Ref:Pilgrim's pics. I will ask my Dad if he can remember if his friend that did the original work back in '72 cleaned the sludge trap. I suspect that they didn't since my Dad would have been very meticulous about changing the oil often.
EDIT: Of course if he is that meticulous they would have cleaned it anyway?  ;)
To BSA-Bill: I get your point about removing it now and actually creating a problem.
To Everyone else: Thank you very much for your replies. I am convinced that it will be ok to leave it alone.
Gary
Gary
1961 A10 GF
NC