Author Topic: Lead replacement additive  (Read 2631 times)

Offline BearKat

• A's Good Friend
Re: Lead replacement additive
« Reply #15 on: 05.03. 2012 11:20 »
Hi Guys,
        i have posted mail to Alan Graham,Sussex Promotions (Fuel Cat),viewing my concerns regarding my purchase from him
          and asked him for any comments he may wish to make.
Ex RASC "DON R"1958/60,(BSA M20 /MATCHLESS G3)

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #16 on: 05.03. 2012 17:20 »
Hi there Goldy
 All the the things you say ain't happened with Ethanol have in fact happened if you done a bit of research the evidence is all there, in the Dec2010 Bsa club magazine a fellow biker had just built a replica Rocket Gold Star having had the engine done proffesionally he didn't even get it onto the road before he had problems the Ethanol in the petrol dissolved the sealant in the petrol tank gummed up the carb seized the inlet valves and bent the push rods There is other evidence in the classic magazines an A10 gold flash the throttle slide seized fortunately not while riding, also a Norton commando owner had a fibre glass tank that over the winter storage leaked like seive Ethanol again the culprit. This is not just a problem for older vehicles Ducati in America are being sued because their brand new fuel tanks are turning to jelly in under 2000 miles and when the owners take them back to the dealers they are replacing them with the same tanks.
We all know that when we changed from leaded to unleaded there was massive amounts of publicity some telling of dire consequences to older vehicles which in the main have not really happened I think because of lead replacement additives and the fact that different vehicles reacted in different ways also the possible detrimental effects of unleaded take time to have an effect.
There has been no massive publicity about the introduction of Ethanol indeed there is no compulsion on petrol stations to tell the public how much ethanol is being put into fuel until it goes to 10% which is not planned until I think 2013. All petrol stations are not yet adding it so the effects are rather sporadic at the moment but according to the governments own figures some 8.5million vehicles could be effected and the only advice that the government is giving is if you have a vehicle over 10 years old you should consult the manufacturer as to the possible effects of Ethanol so how do we get in touch with BSA and all the other extinct manufacturers.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline BearKat

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #17 on: 05.03. 2012 20:48 »
Alan has made a refund and points out that he has been selling these for 16years to trusting customers,i hope i will not be disappointed!!!,
                 Gordon.
Ex RASC "DON R"1958/60,(BSA M20 /MATCHLESS G3)

Offline cus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #18 on: 05.03. 2012 21:02 »
On the fuel cat thing, I had a weak moment & purchased one about 7 years ago, I got sick of the bloody thing
rattling around the tank. I think Fuel Cat is in a similar vein as those electronic rust preventers & Peter Brock's
Polorizor (Aussie readers might remember that one!), "Save your money", put a pebble in your tank instead,
it will do the same thing,

Cus
56 G/Flash project