Author Topic: Lead replacement additive  (Read 2632 times)

Offline BearKat

• A's Good Friend
Lead replacement additive
« on: 02.03. 2012 15:55 »
Hi Guys,
       perhaps you can tell me from your vast experience which additive is proving to be the best, there is quite a difference in prices,(are we  paying for the name)?
                      Regards,

Gordon.
Ex RASC "DON R"1958/60,(BSA M20 /MATCHLESS G3)

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
Re: Lead replacement additive
« Reply #1 on: 02.03. 2012 16:48 »
Hi there. I have used Castrol Valvoline ever since it came out in my Gold Flash I also use it in my A65. I did run the flash for about a year without using any additive and took the head off just to check it and there was no problem with the valves but decided to continue using it as a precaution.  I did also read somewhere that if you use an additive you should stick to the same brand as using different brands can cause problems because of their different chemical makeup.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline Cider1

• Moving Up
    • Listen to Out of the Blue
« Reply #2 on: 02.03. 2012 16:58 »
Hi Gordon
I use Castrol Valvemaster Plus. This is a lead replacement and octane improved. I've found Castrol to be the most economical because you only use 1 ml to 1 litter.  One bottle will probably last all year.  I agree With bikerbob that you can't mix different brands.
Cheers
Frank.  *smile*

Offline BearKat

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 02.03. 2012 17:46 »
Thanks Bob & Frank,
              i will follow your advice, i seem to remember useing the same some years ago in my MGM ROADSTER,but the memory ain,t so good these days,
                                       Thanks again,
                                          Gordon.

Offline rockthedog

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 02.03. 2012 18:21 »
Hi Guys,
       perhaps you can tell me from your vast experience which additive is proving to be the best, there is quite a difference in prices,(are we  paying for the name)?
                      Regards,

Gordon.
HI GORDON i have had a fuel cat stick in my tank for the last 3 years and coverd over 12,000 miles with no probs, cost me £15.00 mal.

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 02.03. 2012 19:28 »
HI there made a mistake with my post it is Castrol Valvemaster not Valvoline I think they do 2 types Valvemaster and Valvemaster Plus I use  Valvemaster. While we are on the subject of additives anyone using the additive to combat the  corrosive effects of Ethanol. It can be obtained from www.frost.co.uk for £12.00. but it does not combat all the effects of Ethanol but can be used inconjunction with Lead Replacement Additives. If the government keep changing fuel we will end using more addtives than petrol.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 02.03. 2012 19:41 »
Talking about this at a recent bike meet some use Castrol Valvemaster and others use nothing. The ones using valvemaster say they don,t have any problems but then the ones using nothing say exactly the same.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline BearKat

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 03.03. 2012 12:30 »
Rockthedog!!,well you rocked my memory,its some years since i used an additive and my brain kicked in as i read your mail.the one i used ,was the cat stick,consisting of 4/5 discs in a sack that is dropped into the tank and guarantees 100,000 miles, of course i never proved that, but my motor run sweet with no related problems for some years, i have now ordered one for each bike,
                              Thanks Guys,
                                     Gordon.

Offline rockthedog

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 03.03. 2012 16:29 »
Rockthedog!!,well you rocked my memory,its some years since i used an additive and my brain kicked in as i read your mail.the one i used ,was the cat stick,consisting of 4/5 discs in a sack that is dropped into the tank and guarantees 100,000 miles, of course i never proved that, but my motor run sweet with no related problems for some years, i have now ordered one for each bike,
                              Thanks Guys,
                                     Gordon.
hi gordon i have not had any problems with the cat stick, and 3 of my mates have them in there classic and running sweet you can get them from ebay cheers rockthedog

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 03.03. 2012 21:58 »
hi guys, not wanting to put the CAT among the pigeons i was mildly interested in "FuelCat" untill i did some research. One article says that it is a SCAM with some interesting arguments also alloy heads have hardened valve seats and do not need an additive for protection. Not wanting to rubbish the product on one article and noting some members actually use this product it would be usefull to hear others opinions,cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 04.03. 2012 12:00 »
Some years ago when unleaded first came out I was running a Triumph Stag as my daily driver (alloy head with inserts). I decide to just run it on unleaded with no additives or anything else but check the clearances regularly and they didn't move over 20,000 miles.

The FBHVC ran some tests on a BMC A series engine and did find valve seat recession on that (cast iron head) and IIRC Valvemaster was one of the few magic potions that worked.

The tin and other metal things (Broquet etc) you put in the petrol tank are no more than snake oil.

Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 04.03. 2012 14:11 »
I'm in agreement with iansoady

I use Valvemaster plus and have had no recession issues woth the Flash (iron head), My RGF has an alloy head with unleaded valve seats but I still put a bit of valvemaster Plus in there to get the octane boost
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline t20racerman

• A's Good Friend
  • Keep it nailed!
    • The T20 'Super Six' Suzuki website
« Reply #12 on: 04.03. 2012 14:56 »
'Fuel Cat' is utter junk - complete snake oil. No scientific evidence whatsoever to back it up - just a few testimonials from the odd user who thinks it might have worked for them.
Sorry if I sound harsh and offend anyone - but I'm a scientist who knows cod science when they see it.

Not ONE scientific journal has ever published data on it ('cos there isn't anything scientific about it!) and the 'science' on their website is utter junk.

If you go to Fuel cats website they have a 'Results' page to 'show' it works... Go here:
http://www.fuelcat.co.uk/test-results.php

Bloody hilarious! Have a look at the Prague file.......  Or go to the Coca Cola one. Prague is unreadable, and Coca Cola test done on 20 trucks for three months... but only 14 were available on the test day three months later to compare! Doesn't even say which sample the 14 trucks were from! Data blurry and hard to read and the numbers are utterly insignificant (and probably untrue anyway)! Lots of "my mate reckons it works with his car" s*** to back it up in testimonials......

Have a look here - sums it up better than I could:
http://fuelcatisascam.selfip.com/fuelcat.html

Trouble is, people put them in their bikes/cars and quite unsurprisingly cover many happy miles afterwards... as they would have done without using one. This 'proof' that they work then gets passed on as gospel. Please folks, don't fall for it.

Most A10 alloy head seats are probably hard enough to cope with unleaded, and will go on working for years (mine did). Cast iron, maybe not. Either way, use your bike for thousands of miles, and when you've had to adjust the valves quite a lot, take the head off and get it done properly with new seats. Don't worry that the seats "might wear down" as you'll easily know when they have done, if they do.

1944 WN/G based trials Ariel
1961 A10 - somewhat modified :-)
1967 T20 Suzuki - heavily modified Classic Racer
1967 T20 Suzuki - pretty standard road bike
2007 KTM 660 SMC - fast and furious supermoto
Triumph Tiger (modern one)

"If I had all the money back that I've spent on motorcycles... I'd spend it all on motorcycles!"

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #13 on: 04.03. 2012 16:00 »
It,s the same with ethanol. We were told that carbs would sieze, valves would seize, anything non ferrous would seize and petrol tanks would fall to bits. Aint happened.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline t20racerman

• A's Good Friend
  • Keep it nailed!
    • The T20 'Super Six' Suzuki website
« Reply #14 on: 04.03. 2012 16:58 »
It,s the same with ethanol. We were told that carbs would sieze, valves would seize, anything non ferrous would seize and petrol tanks would fall to bits. Aint happened.

I was told the same if I drank too much ethanol... body parts would seize up, life fall to bits etc but.. Oh, hold on, no, that did happen!  *smile*
1944 WN/G based trials Ariel
1961 A10 - somewhat modified :-)
1967 T20 Suzuki - heavily modified Classic Racer
1967 T20 Suzuki - pretty standard road bike
2007 KTM 660 SMC - fast and furious supermoto
Triumph Tiger (modern one)

"If I had all the money back that I've spent on motorcycles... I'd spend it all on motorcycles!"