Author Topic: broken kick start return spring in RGS  (Read 3214 times)

Offline lillygunny

• Moving Up
broken kick start return spring in RGS
« on: 03.03. 2012 21:55 »
My return spring broke today and I have not taken anything apart or ordered the parts yet. I have done a search and read that I need to remove the gear box cover leaving the shift lever and kick starter intact, but I don't understand how to replace the spring so it is under tension with the kick start lever in the start position. It is not clear to me why I use the clutch lever to hold the kick starter.

Thanks for any help.

Ron

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: broken kick start return spring in RGS
« Reply #1 on: 03.03. 2012 22:32 »
take the cable out of the clutch lever ( on the gearbox cover), take off the inspection cover from the gearbox cover, this will allow the clutch lever to swing out and catch the kick start lever stopping it from unwinding.(it will unwind a small amount)
When replacing it all you only need to pull back the kick start lever a little bit as you push the gearbox lever back on.
Not difficult to replace the spring as you will see when you get it parted
All the best with it
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline lillygunny

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 03.03. 2012 22:59 »
Thanks Bill, right now the kick start lever drops all the way down and does not come back up. Do I put the kick start lever in this position before I install the new spring or after? That is what I don't get.

Thanks a million.
Ron

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 04.03. 2012 09:48 »
Hi Ron,

Obviously your kickstarter goes down to the bottom because the return spring is broken.  When you replace the spring you need to tension it by turning the kickstarter anti-clockwise and then prevent it from unwinding by moving the chrome clutch operating arm outwards and then allow the kickstarter to rest behind it so that it acts as a temporary stop.

When you are refitting the outer cover you will need to push the kickstart rearwards just past the vertical position to allow the kickstart mechanism between the inner and outer covers to line up.

Check the kickstart operation before you fully tighten the outer cover and again when the outer cover is fully tightened.

Beezageezauk.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 04.03. 2012 09:55 »
Sorry Ron I completely lost the fact your return spring is broken - Beezageezauk has it right
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline PaulC

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 09.11. 2014 17:04 »
Hello everyone. This seems to have happened to me today on my Super Rocket and this post seems to provide a reasonable solution for me. Happened on the kick that started the engine and with the lever hanging down, there was a sound like slightly touching cogs. Lift the lever manually to upright and the noise stops. Gears engage ok, so I'm assuming just the spring. When the engine is stopped, the lever stays in the upright position (but I don't know why).

Am I right in thinking the replacement can be done through the oval inspection cover without further dismantling? Also, I'm assuming I'll have to remove the right hand footrest to allow the lever to be turned far enough anti-clockwise to be held by the clutch lever. Do I detach the clutch gable just by manually moving the arm towards the centre of the bike? Should I grease it when I re-fit?

Hope that's no too many questions and none are too stupid.  Thanks for any replies.

Paul
A10 Super Rocket 1959
Norton International Model 40 1949
Triumph Thruxton R 2016
Ducati Multistrada 1200S Touring 2014

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 09.11. 2014 17:20 »
Paul,

You can't fix it through the oval inspection cover. The gearbox cover will have to come off. The springs are available, but it may be a case of the spring not engaged with the starter quadrant (the partial sprocket that engages the gearbox main-shaft pinion behind the cover). If the spring is not engaged, it could be a case of the previous owner using the wrong spring, or, less likely, the wrong quadrant.

Richard L.

beezermacc

« Reply #7 on: 09.11. 2014 17:27 »
You need to remove the gearbox outer cover (not just the little oval inspection cover). The outer cover can be removed with the kickstart and gear lever in place. Remove the four nuts and the screws and pull the whole lot towards you with kickstart and gear lever held in the casing. You don't need to undo the small nut near the kickstart lever as that is to hold the spring, nor the small screw above the speedo drive as that holds the drive in place.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 09.11. 2014 17:45 »

Might be a good idea to drain the oil before you start...
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 09.11. 2014 17:49 »

Might be a good idea to drain the oil before you start...

Uhh, he means gearbox oil.

Offline PaulC

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #10 on: 09.11. 2014 19:04 »
Thanks for your replies. More involved than I'd hoped!

So the lever and spring are attached to the inner side of the cover and the whole kickstart assembly will come away with the cover? If so, how do I do the tensioning bit using the clutch lever?

Thanks
Paul
A10 Super Rocket 1959
Triumph Thruxton R 2016

Offline PaulC

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #11 on: 09.11. 2014 19:12 »
Just opened my Haynes manual at p59 and I get it, now.

Thanks for your help.

Paul
A10 Super Rocket 1959
Triumph Thruxton R 2016

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 09.11. 2014 21:36 »
Uhh, he means gearbox oil.

Ah yeah- I know it kinda obvious, but.....

Paul, it's all fairly easy....that 'sound of sllightly touching cogs' would've been the return ratchet, and the reason it stayed up is because the corresponding start gear on the mainshaft was holding it- if you'd pushed down, would've turned the engine over.
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 10.11. 2014 01:04 »
If so, how do I do the tensioning bit using the clutch lever?

The clutch lever is flipped around to keep the kickstart lever from springing forward when the gearbox cover is pulled off. Since you have no working spring, this is not an issue. And, yes, manually moving the clutch arm toward the center of the bike is the way the cable is released from the arm.

Richard L.

Offline PaulC

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #14 on: 10.11. 2014 19:11 »
Thanks all.

I will dismantle at the weekend and see what I find inside before ordering the spring and new gasket.

Paul
A10 Super Rocket 1959
Triumph Thruxton R 2016