Author Topic: Correct Speedo?  (Read 5770 times)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Correct Speedo?
« Reply #30 on: 13.08. 2012 22:42 »
I wouldn't swear to it but I think a rev counter may well have been an extra ( anybody know for sure?),
Just guessing here but would think BSA wouldn't take a speedo off to fit a matched pair, they'd just add a rev counter

Will be interesting to here from anybody who knows
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #31 on: 15.09. 2012 02:44 »
Was originally planning to convert a spare (velocette) 120mph speedo to a tach, but have dug deep and outlayed much $$$ for a genuine RC1303/03 tach ;D
now dummying up my instruments, I notice my speedo has slightly smaller diameter mounting studs on the back (as no doubt out of a nacelle model) as well as the bezel with the flat back edge.
It also has the trip meter pin coming out the base, whereas my handlebar mounted speedo on my ZB33 has the trip meter coming out of the circular radius edge towards the rider.

Can anyone confirm if the speedo's used on twin clock machines have a case with heavier base studs and a different trip meter location?
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #32 on: 15.09. 2012 22:02 »
RR,
          The cowl/nacelle speedos have a bottom trip and proud mounted have a side trip.
The studs should all be the same, being 6mm X 1.0 mm pitch.
0 BA will fit.
Re your earlier post, both clocks start at 1 o'clock.
The needle on the speedo is different to the tacho.
The tacho has a blunt end and the speedo has a fancy oval affair.

Trev.

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #33 on: 15.09. 2012 22:18 »
RR,
          The cowl/nacelle speedos have a bottom trip and proud mounted have a side trip.
The studs should all be the same, being 6mm X 1.0 mm pitch.
0 BA will fit.
Re your earlier post, both clocks start at 1 o'clock.
The needle on the speedo is different to the tacho.
The tacho has a blunt end and the speedo has a fancy oval affair.

Trev.

Trev,
 thanks for that! I suspect my speedo may have stripped a mounting stud thread and both have been recut to a smaller diameter.
Was planning to change the bezel, but given the case/trip meter arent right and the face isnt great, just about need another clock  *sad2* Oh well another thing to add somewhere to the projects list of missing or incorrect/spend money  *problem*
At least I have a nice tach!
Cheers
Tim
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
« Reply #34 on: 15.09. 2012 23:05 »
I bought a new needle and face from Otto Instruments years ago. Give him a go. I wouldn't be fussy if i was you, they all go for 250 bucks now working or not.