Author Topic: Re: A10 crank pinion removal  (Read 2009 times)

Offline Tumbleweed

• A's Good Friend
Re: A10 crank pinion removal
« on: 05.03. 2012 14:31 »
hi everybody. any ideas about removing the crankshaft pinion on my 53 a10.  .there is no holes for a puller?    cheers
Semper in excretia sumus solum profundum veriat.

beezermacc

« Reply #1 on: 05.03. 2012 19:23 »
Presumably you mean the pinion on the timing side. This is removed with the BSA puller also used for pulling the camshaft pinion and dynamo sprocket. You select the legs with the small lip at the bottom to grip the back of the pulley which has a couple of flats to accommodate the lip on the legs. The legs have a tendency to slip over the pinion so I usually slide a jubilee clip over the two legs and tighten it up before pulling.  There's a picture of one at http://www.britcycle.com/Products/221/22111001.jpg

Offline Tumbleweed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 05.03. 2012 20:41 »
thanks beezermacc. but there is no room between the pinion and the casing.there is two slots at the front of pinion about the size of a screwdriver slots , looking at the pic you kindly sent to me i dont think it would fit in those slots    *conf*

Offline Stu55Flash

• A's Good Friend
    • Flash Resto
« Reply #3 on: 05.03. 2012 22:35 »
On my plunger the legs go into 2 slots in front end of the pinion not behind it. I used a cheap battery terminal 2 leg puller legs ground to suit the slot and held in like what was said before. Don,t forget the calibrated strike with the hammer on the puller head to release the pinion.

Hope this helps

Stu
"Keep a distance from lady "L" drivers in cars. Some are not mechanically minded, are slow to acquire road sense, an are apt to panic..." The Pitman Book of the BSA Twins.
Golden Flash Plunger 1955, Francis Barnett Falcon 67 1954, Ferguson TEA Tractor 1951. Looking for another project!

Offline Tumbleweed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 06.03. 2012 08:06 »
thanks stu . i will try that today

beezermacc

« Reply #5 on: 06.03. 2012 08:06 »
Stu55 is correct, I had a senior moment, the slots are at the front and very shallow. The tool in the pic is correct. The pinion is on a parallel shaft so it shouldn't need striking. If the slots have got damaged you might try heating the pinion which should give it enough expansion to slide off the shaft with some gentle leverage.

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #6 on: 06.03. 2012 10:45 »
Hi Tumbleweed, don't know if you have managed this yet but when i took mine off I was having the same orblem, phoned SRM who had done some work for me to refresh my memory and was to told they just use a flat screwdriver and a same piece of wood to avoid contact to the innere case , abit surprised but tried it and it worked, don't go mad on it but a gentle pressure will show if its going to give up the ghost easily or if you need something more refined , best of luck, Bobh.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #7 on: 06.03. 2012 11:53 »
Sorry guys my yping is useless, point proved ,regards BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Tumbleweed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 06.03. 2012 14:15 »
thanks everybody, i used a mixture of your advice. two old valves and a cross piece a jubilee clip  and a vertical pull with heat and   bingo its off, thanks again. tumbleweed   *smile*

Offline 0116harley

• Moving Up
« Reply #9 on: 06.03. 2012 16:55 »
Just thought id show you guys my  extractor i made  out of two bolts and a bit of scrape metal. A bit crude but done the job