Author Topic: matching enginecases  (Read 1039 times)

Offline Tumbleweed

• A's Good Friend
matching enginecases
« on: 07.03. 2012 14:13 »
hi chaps, i recently purchased my old a10 with the engine blown, hole in the crank case, chain case side, i was supplied with a spare half case for that side,  i came across another case a10 complete which i purchased , but when i get it  , its the wrong type as mine has the chaincase joined to the engine casing and this one has not. I am thinking my best way out is to fit the case i was supplied with in the first place it does fit together, but i have a feeling  its not just a matter of studs. any ideas anybody?      *sad2*
Semper in excretia sumus solum profundum veriat.

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
Re: matching enginecases
« Reply #1 on: 07.03. 2012 15:47 »
Hi tumbleweed , is your bike a plunger framed A10? . The plungers had a semi unit construction with the gearbox bolted directly to the back of the engine and the innerprimary chaincase attached to the crankcase the swinging arm version has the screw holes and 2 bolt holes to fit a detachable chaincase. Sounds like a plunger be careful fitting just one other crankcase ,they were fitted has a pair so you may find things just slightly out when you put the other case on and can get leaks and even worse ,check carefully if you go down that route,regards bobh   
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Tumbleweed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 07.03. 2012 16:38 »
you are right bobh, looks like i am going to need the proper  case for my model ,   cheers   t w

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 07.03. 2012 18:52 »
 G'day tumbleweed, how bad is the hole? You might be able to repair yours with a piece cut from the case you were supplied. There are some bloody good welders out there. At least that way all the holes and the deck will line up. Post a picture of the damaged one.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Tumbleweed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 07.03. 2012 21:39 »
hi muskrat, i tried to get a pic off my computer but im not that good, the piece that wants repairing is from the first barrell stud 2"gap down 6"where it bolts to the  other casing i dont know wether a weld would be strong enough. :! cheers tw

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #5 on: 08.03. 2012 19:03 »
The pics
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Tumbleweed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 09.03. 2012 09:17 »
I think i need another engine dont you ? *eek* have you ever seen one repaired as with damage as bad as that one? i have got a donor.