Author Topic: Gold Star kick start quadrant stop purpose  (Read 1635 times)

Offline lillygunny

• Moving Up
Gold Star kick start quadrant stop purpose
« on: 19.03. 2012 23:21 »
Can anyone explain to me what the quadrant stop does and what happens if it is missing. The hole in the inner cover had elongated and the previous owner had rigged an Allen screw with a teflon tubing instead of using the factory quadrant stop. The tubing has fallen away and the screw is just flopping around. Can I leave it be? The kick starter works fine. If not, what would be the best repair? I found the problem while replacing a broken kick start return spring.

Thanks,
Ron

Online WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
Re: Gold Star kick start quadrant stop purpose
« Reply #1 on: 19.03. 2012 23:32 »
I may be wrong? BUT does'nt the stop restrict the kick start RETURNING past the normal sitting position?  Without it your kick start lever would wind clockwise past the spring tention & drag on the ground..   *eek*
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 20.03. 2012 11:03 »
As wozza said,and it pretty much holds tension on the spring so it doesn't go flapping around inside,and maybe it's why your spring was broken as if it's flapping 'round makes it kind of random whether it'll engage with the quadrant again?
Also, as the quadrant can keep going clockwise, it could potentially engage with the starter ratchet and make funny noises??
  I was playing with mine last week, but didn't really look at that option.
Maybe take the quadrant from the outer cover put in place in the inner cover(with no outer cover) and play with it over a bevvie or 2 and see what it does. Pretty simple really, good luck,duTch

Oh yeah- *beer*

Just had another thought, that apart from the obvious recommendation of either find another inner cover or have that one repaired, and next not so ideal, but there's various liquid metal products you could use as a 'temporary' repair?? cheeers

adm edit: messages merged & formatting removed
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 20.03. 2012 19:53 »
Spot on Dutch, I cured mine by filling the hole with metal putty, putting the stop in and tighten with a good washer and nut, let it set in situ, it's been fine for a decade.
A better repair might be to drill the hole bigger and put in a bush though
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 20.03. 2012 20:27 »
Hi Ron,
Have a look at this thread where I posted how to do a permanent repair
http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php/topic,2914.msg19637/topicseen.html#msg19637

I would see the danger in not fixing it as if the bike kicked back the lever/quadrant would fly forward and damage inside the case could occur *eek*
HTH
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline lillygunny

• Moving Up
« Reply #5 on: 21.03. 2012 00:23 »
John, your repair looks appealing. Can anyone help me find a machinist in the Southeastern US who could do this work for me?

Thanks,
Ron

Offline lillygunny

• Moving Up
« Reply #6 on: 21.03. 2012 02:19 »
I have located an inner cover that is in perfect condition but it is stamped STD whereas my Gold Star is stamped STD T. Will this inner cover work in my transmission?
Thanks,
Ron

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 21.03. 2012 10:21 »
Hi Ron,
The cover will require machining to accept the thrust washer used on the T gearbox, I'm not 100% sure if the bush and needle roller bearing have the same outside diamater
If I were you I would repair the T casing
T = Torrington needle roller bearings on the gearbox layshaft,
The needle roller gearboxes are sought after and worth quite a bit
HTH
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline lillygunny

• Moving Up
« Reply #8 on: 22.03. 2012 01:02 »
John, thanks. Fortunately I have found someone in SC who can do the appropriate machine work and it will be shipped tomorrow. Thanks for all the help.

Ron

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 22.03. 2012 16:38 »
Hi Ron,
Your Thank you message is much appreciated  *smile*
"Royalties" on the repair patent are payable in beer !! LOL

Cheers
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 24.03. 2012 15:57 »
Glad it's working out Ron, though I have to admit that when I was playing with mine ,it was a bit upside down and I was playing with the other end of the Quadrant travel-spring issue, so may have had the mechanics a bit mixed up- but no matter same final result.
     The irony is though ,that I jest a bit about having had every nut,bolt,screw or stud apart on this bike in the last year, except the speedo,'cos I bought it as reco'ed. However-After this discussion last week I figured I better look at my nut on the back of the you-know-what (I hope, as I've forgotten) the  whatzit -return stop! and guess what -the only nut that I can find that I haven't needed to touch was about a half turn loose! , but a bit of sealing goop(3bond) and loktite should fix that. Beautiful nut too-Looks like it's never seen a spanner since new
                     cheers duTch
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia