Author Topic: Blowout!  (Read 1827 times)

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
Blowout!
« on: 07.07. 2008 20:38 »
The other day I went for a short run on the A7 just to go to the bank a get a few things in Asda. I was setting off to come back the pretty way via Rothes and experienced rapid deflation of the rear tyre. I managed to slither to a halt without the idiots behind running me down. A mobile phone call and 2 1/2 hour wait later a big towtruck came to take the bike home. I could not find anything stuck in the tyre and assumed the valve had torn out of the tube. I run low pressures, only a couple of psi higher than BSA specified because the bike is a rigid and softer tyres absorb some of the bumps. I didn't have time to investigate until today. It was not the valve but there is a hole in the tube. The tube seems to have worn thin at that point. There's nothing on the inside of the tyre to account for the damage so it looks like a case of internal abrasion between the  inside edge of the tyre and the tube. I suppose the low pressure may have caused this or perhaps it's just a dodgy tube. It is a Kenda tube, made in Taiwan.

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Re: Blowout!
« Reply #1 on: 07.07. 2008 23:39 »
Sorry for what happened, it's a major annoyance indeed.

You surely know, but these puncture-fix spraycans can do wonders (within limits, of course, won't fix a ripped apart tube). After fixing a flat, I have continued riding for 1000's of miles after a puncture, with the stuff in there (waiting till the  tyre needs change due to wear), and see no special risk of sudden deflation or any other problem. The smaller cans for bikes or motorbikes have a nice size. I always bring one along, it has saved my day (or night) more than once.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 08.07. 2008 08:17 »
Is that the sort that inflates the tyre as it goes in? Does it pump them up enough to seat the tyre properly on the rim?

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #3 on: 08.07. 2008 13:35 »
Yes, as they fix tubeless tyres as well. Looking at the size of the can, the 'inflation power' is amazing.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 06.05. 2011 11:03 »
I had a puncture yesterday, managed to limp home on the flatish front tyre, it's an Avon AM20
Just checked the tyre it's ok , seems fine can't fined any evidence of being creased or chaffed, sidewall pretty firm all around.
Never thought about it before but it looks like an advantage of the Morad Alloy rim is the tyre stays on when flat, although I went very carefully on the mile home, HA a slow speed tank slapper - imagine.

Now to the point
The cause of the puncture was the small dished washer thing that fits on the tyre over the valve stem, this must have came off when the tyre was fitted, worked its way around the tube and eventually for some reason dug in.
I have had a look at a spare tube and the little washer on it is pretty well stuck to the tube although perhaps if I tried hard enough it might come off.
Now that my confidence in my tyre fitting skills has been called into question, my question is what is the order of the fittings on the valve stem and where do they go
This tube had on the valve stem starting from the tube - 1. the small dished washer, 2. a brass nut, 3. another brass nut.
I had them in the following order (tube) washer, rim, brass nut - the other brass nut I discarded

OK forum tyre Gurus what if anything have I done wrong (apart from letting the little washer fall off when fitting the tube)
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 06.05. 2011 13:56 »
The one nut is supposed to go inside and butt up to the rim so the washer should always be kept in place by that inner nut. The other nut goes outside so in effect the 2 nuts clamp the valve holder to the rim.

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 06.05. 2011 14:18 »
I always omit the nut on the outside, this way you can see when the tyre has slipped and turned on the rim, the valve will be skew to the rim then. By deflating the tyre you can easily turn it back into it's original position. This will admittedly happen very rarely, actually only with really good brakes and the tyre pressure set a bit too low maybe, but still.
If the valve is clamped with both nuts, it will always be held perpendicular to the rim, and if the tyre (and tube) turn on the rim continuously, you won't notice and it will eventually damage the tube.
Not my idea, it was an old racer who told me this, and I've done so ever since, works for me!

Cheers, Markus
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

www.histo-tech.at - Restoration, Repairs, Racing

Austria

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 06.05. 2011 17:27 »
Thanks Fido and MG.

Seems I got that all wrong, Ok off to the corner with the pointy hat on
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 06.05. 2011 23:06 »
Hi All,
Fido, you were LUCKY  *eek* *eek*
My advice is to only use "QUALITY" tubes
10 years ago I had a front tube burst due to a flake of chrome (as best I can figure out??)
Far eastern tubes will rip when punctured, this one did , a 4 inch split *eek*
I went arsre over kettle over the bars and did myself no good at all  *sad2* *sad2*

Now I'm paranoid and fit new tubes every time!!

HTH
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 07.05. 2011 01:26 »
I agree John,
                         I always make sure that the tubes I use are rubber.
There were some about which was made of butyl or some such rubbish and tore open with any puncture.

Trev.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 07.05. 2011 09:32 »
The one I had in the front with the puncture is a Pirelli and behaved like a gent, I thought I would repair it but then I don't know how long rubber solution is viable for and mine is old old old, and the cost of a puncture repair at a tyre depot is much more then half the price of a good tube and more than the cost of a cheap tube.
My spare was bought as just that a spare get you home.
Going to Peebles bike show tomorrow so hope to pick up a good new tube there if not I'll mail order a couple.
Strange how your thinking goes off track at times, why did I buy a cheap tube as a get you home thing, if you have to put a tube in might as well put a good one once as put one in one your going to change when you get home, I suppose old habits from harder times stick
All the best - Bill