Author Topic: Using a Buzzer or Light to set up Points on a Magneto.  (Read 5290 times)

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
I use a little device that has a buzzer which sounds once the points break

On another thread a member mentioned the use of a buzzer to set up his points. I do like this idea of using a buzzer or light to show when points are just opening but I have been concerned in the past about electrical currant going through the magneto wiring and capacitor/condenser. Is there any risk of harm to the Magneto using such device?? Okay I know the magneto is an electrical device itself, but if one should start feeding currant in  places not reccomended what sort of damage is being done? I also wonder if the device has to be 6 volt or if can you get away with 12 volt?

Any thoughts on this subject please ????
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

G/F DAVE

Re: Using a Buzzer or Light to set up Points on a Magneto.
« Reply #1 on: 08.07. 2008 15:30 »
LJ,   It was me who uses a buzzer for ignition timing. These are purpose made items specifically made for magneto timing. They use your magneto points as a switch to activate buzzer, one crocodile clip goes to earth, other goes to points centre screw. Can,t be much current going thru mag as they only use a 1.5 volt AA battery.These were available from independant ignition supplies, but cant find them on there website now. The price is rather expensive, but as I mentioned earlier I borrow mine from  a mate who services tiger moth planes, now these things have to dead on and if you damage the mags on these they cost a small fortune to repair being BTH magneto type . I know he has used this tool for years with no problems & if I can find out who made it I,ll post it here on this forum. I  have used the old fag paper method though you can get some good results but there is always the doubt but not with a buzzer as you can rotate engine after you have timed it  and check on a timing disc with auto advance open till you hear buzzer then check disc, 34 degrees BTDC (regardless of piston compression ratio). best regards G/F DAVE....

G/F DAVE

« Reply #2 on: 09.07. 2008 20:06 »
I have now found website address for a magneto sychroniser same type as used by my mate for magnetos on aircraft, If you look at WWW.LASAERO.COM site you,ll find this item under magneto sychroniser total price inc vat & p&p uk buyers £44.06 which by the way is alot cheaper than my mate paid for his, I have now ordered my own as I could only use his at weekends. Also found another site selling these stateside WWW.MAGNETOTIMER.COM they sell these in kit form $32.00 or assembled $44.00 once you use one of these you,ll never use a fag paper again. Also they are handy to sychronise cam rings on magneto,s such as K2F LUCAS type as you just fix a pointer & timing disc to taper end of shaft connect your buzzer and rotate shaft when buzzer sounds you can check disc for degree openings of points, then use oil stone on cam ring until both are same. hope this helps G/F DAVE......

Offline dpaddock

• NC, USA
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 10.07. 2008 15:02 »
Before oil stoning the cam, try to reposition it radially and shim it when you find the position where the points open equally for both cylinders. There typically is some clearance between the ring and the housing that generates this problem but which also allows this solution.
Believe me, when you get each cylinder firing at the same advance position, you'll see your machine is a real power house!
David
'57 Spitfire

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #4 on: 10.07. 2008 18:31 »
dpaddock...

This is exactly the problem that I found only a few weeks ago when I found one spark plug to be more fouled than the other one. It was easy to blame induction bio alone, although I did find the gasket between carb and head to be fouling the port.

As for the buzzer thingy... I think a packet of ciggie papers a bit cheaper, but still have in mind to make my own.

Thanks for the efforts in finding the websites I will look them up.
Cheers!
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline shuswapkev

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 20.12. 2015 11:58 »

you should be able to use the "continuity " setting on your ohmmeter...???
         just remove the centre screw..